Out of Office Autoresponse - Entourage?

antonioconte

Registered
Hi, does anyone know what the best way of setting up an "Out of the Office" auto response? I spoke to my ISP who said they don't offer it at their end and that OUTLOOK had the facility I should try? I can't find it entourage V.X . They told me that I'm using POP3 if that effects things.

Thanks!

Auto response is not available in Entourage as far as I know. I'm not sure about Outlook Express. We have entourage in our office and when employees take vacations, I set up an auto-response message at the mail server. This may not be an option for you though. Who is your ISP? Does your company have it's own domain name? You may have mail forwarding in effect and could possibly do something at that level.

OMG! i didn't even know entourage had those capabilities! Rules who'da thunk it? This really opens alot of doors for me. So much is possible. It's a brave new world.

Thanks Rinse!

I'm sure you already know the following stuff and I'm only telling it to those who don't and think this is THE great idea...

1) If you're subscribed to a mailing list (any!), you can't use an autoreply. Well, you can, but you will be fired from your job, you'll be killed by the list manager and burned by the other list users. (Think: Ping-Pong.)

2) An autoreply rule in Entourage doesn't do you any good if you turn your computer off. (I had customers who didn't think of that. They still think the Internet is *magick*.)

3) Autoreplies are basically a turnoff if you get them. Rather *tell* the important people you know that you'll be out of the office for x days/weeks once in one E-Mail. If this is for customer's mails, just either let your server forward the mails to your vice. Or do so yourself with a rule in Entourage.

4) Test your settings, if you have to use them, by sending a mail to yourself.

I hope everybody who knows this already agrees that they are important things to know and consider before installing such a rule.

Dear All,

The answer to the original question is the "Out-of-office" reply is set up via Microsoft Outlook (Not Outlook Express) to the Microsoft Exchange Server.

If you business is using MS Exchange, like mine, email is stored on the machine, along with you address book, tasks, calendar and contacts. You can also set the Out of Office reply.

When you rang the ISP, they were refering to Outlook, the Exchange client, not Outlook Express, the POP3 client.

AS Entourage is in effect, Outlook Express 6, Out Of Office is not available.

Hope it helps...

Back