Panther, How fast does it "Run"

2x10^3

Registered
To all Developers running the Panther Pre- Release.

Is is a fast?

Or will we need to wait til 10.3.9 before it doesn't make My Quicksilver 933 feel like my old IIVX.

Thanks,
Frank

My G4 733 power mac is screwing in panther...I can't wait for the final release!

EDIT: To avoid confusion, screwing meaning going incredibly fast! I can imagine the performance I would get if I upgraded my Geforce2MX to something better.

Originally posted by RyanLang
My G4 733 power mac is screwing in panther...I can't wait for the final release!

EDIT: To avoid confusion, screwing meaning going incredibly fast! I can imagine the performance I would get if I upgraded my Geforce2MX to something better.

How much memory do you have?

- G!mpy

how much of a speed boost would you say it is over 10.2.6? I bought an iMac 1ghz yesterday, with a GeForce4MX, and I'm a bit concerned...the keynote showed a lot of eye candy everywhere, and we all know how the GPU loves those GUI goodies.

I have an iBook 800, so it's not the fastest machine available. I'd say: Panther feels snappier. There's not more eye-candy, there's less. What you mean are the new features; they work well if your GPU is Quartz Extreme enabled. (Which your iMac's is.)

I'd say: Feels faster overall. Better memory management seems to be in place, too. Which probably means you'd better have some, too. Can't say anything about it, though, I still have 640 MB RAM, which seems enough for what I do (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc.). :p

To answer the first question I have 640 MB of ram.

To answer the second...I don't know how to classify it for you, but I think that people will have no problem noticing a very enjoyable speed boost in many if not all aspects of the UI and the system. Also, my friend has a 1ghz iMac which allows quartz extreme to run incredibly smooth and responsive in Jaguar, so I can only imagine how fast Panther is on a 1ghz iMac. You definitely have nothing to worry about though, since my 733 and geforce 2 MX are allowing me to enjoy a speedy expose and the cubed fast user switching (when running at a resolution of 1280 and below).

How'd you get it? By attending WWDC, being in the ADC, or some other un-ethical means? ;)

Also, is it stable enough that you would recommend installing it over Jag?

It is freaking fast on my G4 400. I'm amazed. Application responsiveness is way better, as is application switching.

If it wasn't incompatible with MS Entourage and Word then I'd run it full time.

Safari 1.0 is faster under 10.3 as well :D

Originally posted by Captain Code
It is freaking fast on my G4 400. I'm amazed. Application responsiveness is way better, as is application switching.

If it wasn't incompatible with MS Entourage and Word then I'd run it full time.

Safari 1.0 is faster under 10.3 as well :D

Hi Captain, actually a have a G4 350 with 896 MB of Ram. What would I've to spect in terms of performance... ?
mainly on photoshop and illustrator...

word seems to work fine for me

as far as performance, the finder/system is faster, but it takes up more resources like always, so somethings will be faster, others will be effected and slower

So, since this is a Beta, what's the implications for using it? Kernel Panics, inoperable apps?

What's the trade-off? And if it is not much, why the long wait for the final thing?

Also, any features which didn't get publicised during WWDC?

Originally posted by uoba
So, since this is a Beta, what's the implications for using it? Kernel Panics, inoperable apps?

Inoperable apps. I think a list has started somewhere. Most big ones will work, but some smaller utilities are dead for the moment. Proteus 3 is an example I think.

I have 896MB of RAM as well. Everything seems to be more responsive. The apps start faster, and generally run faster on my machine. An example:
Entourage's send/receive all window draws a lot faster now.(yeah, I got Entourage and Word working)

I haven't really used Photoshop much yet, but I'll try it out later today.

So far I haven't had anything bad happen like kernel panics etc. There are some apps that don't work in it right now and fryke started a list in another thread.

The general feeling is that apps are faster to respond and draw windows.

I'm going to run this full time for a while.
I don't know if there are missing features as I haven't seen a list of all the features that are supposed to be in it(granted I haven't looked for it)

Have I started such a list? I dunno, really. All apps I know _not_ running are:

- Proteus 3
- Camino
- Roxio Toast

for the record, on my upgrade install proteus works fine, but on the clean install it doesnt work

Back