Panther install trouble on B&W G3

Finch

Insert something here...
So I have a trusty old B&W G3 file server which has been running Jaguar like a champ for as long as I can remember. I decided to do some updating today and the problems have become multiple...

I removed the old 20GB drive and replaced it with a 40GB (master) and an 80GB as a (slave) plus theres a 10GB drive connected to the SCSI chain. Upon install of Panther from CD boot I get an "Error with install try again" half way through?

I've tried the following:
1. Zapping the PRAM
2. Formating the Drive
3. Partioning the drive
4. Custom install
5. Unplugging the other drives and ext. devices

Any ideas, I'm at a loss on this one, seeing I've installed Panther on other B&W without issue.

I've installed Panther on a dozen or so B&W G3s. Some have no problems, but I've had a couple that didn't want to do anything. Make sure your memory is good, Panther can be really finicky with memory that seems fine with older OSes. Swap in memory from a working system if you have it. Make sure it is PC66 or PC100 highest speed. Try limiting RAM to just 128-256 MB for the install.
Take out your SCSI card completely for the install process.
Reseat all PCI cards, memory, and processor.
Try a logic board reset (remove power cord, pull battery, and disconnect power supply connector from logic board, and let system sit for 30 minutes to an hour, and reassemble. Test the battery
Do not use non-Apple keyboard for the install.
NO external devices attached, except display, keyboard (plugged into computer USB port, and mouse plugged into keyboard.
Run a cleaning CD through the optical drive, or swap with a working one from another system (if you have one)
I've had to try all of these - eventually works!

Beige G3s aren't officially supported. The one I have doesn't work with Panther. Panther says it requires built-in USB... mine didn't have it.

He's using a Blue & White G3 tower machine, so it's fully supported.

What revision is your B&W G3? Have you always had a master and slave drive setup in there? Revision 1 B&W G3 machines don't support more than one IDE hard drive, so that may be where your problem comes into play.

Also, I had problems installing Panther on some machines, and it seemed to happen when I modified the installation packages (taking out extra languages, printer drivers, etc.). If I left the default install packages selected, the install would go on without a hitch.

It's a REV B 400MHz I took DeltaMac's advice removed the RAM and replaced with a single 128MB module so far all seems to be working.

Back