Panther .zip files not extracting

trex

Registered
Hello all,

I've created a few .zip archives (I burned them onto DVD's) with Panther's new archive feature. Some of them are now not extracting while others work fine. Has this happenend to anyone else? With the broken .zip archives sometimes I get an I/O error in Stuffit Expander - other times Stuffit Expander just quits.

I've also tried the unzip command in the shell - but I'm not very knowledge with that utility. I'll need to collect more information about the exact information I'm getting on the errors.

I am wondering why you are using the Stuffit Expander to expand the zip files. zip files are not bound to Stuffit on "my panther version" but some apple application (icon looks like a zipper). Anyway, Stuffit should be able to extract them as well. But maybe something is wrong with your current version of Stuffit. Which version are you using? Did you try some other zip files, that were not compressed by your software?

Zammy-Sam said:
But maybe something is wrong with your current version of Stuffit. Which version are you using? Did you try some other zip files, that were not compressed by your software?

I tried the newest version of Stuffit Expander --> 8.0.2 and this works in decompressing the archives that weren't decompressing before. I should have thought of doing that! However other archives that are very similiar to the broken ones were decompressing fine. Plus when I was trying to decompress the broken archives with the unix utility --> unzip -- it complained that the files were corrupt.

Oh well - I'm happy I found a solution that works - thanks...

Should you perhaps submit that as a bug to apple? If Panther is creating invalid zip files, that's something they should be taking care of...

Back