Password queries

bez

Registered
Hi all, I am a mac novice so if this question seems a little dumb please excuse me. Last night I accidently locked the padlock on my preferences, stopping me changing them. Obviously I clicked on the padlock, which prompted the adminisrator user name and password. Now when I entered the password I usually use, such as for updating or installing new software-it denied me access.
In the accounts section of preferences, the password in there shows 7 letters,mine is only 5. I have a feeling that the password I use for updating software etc is different to this one? The thing is, when I set up the computer, I cant remember what it was, and have no hint :(
I tried lots of times to open the padlock so I could change some of my preferences, but each time was told that either the username or password was incorrect! In the end I gave up in a bad mood, and shut the computer down. An hour later, I booted it back up for another try, and found that the padlock in the prefences had become unlocked and I could change them???

What exactley happened? I am a bit confused, and am still no clearer on the different passwords used in the system. How can I find out what my administrator password is? Can I change it, even if I cant remember the original? I was going to set up another user account for my girlfriend, but am too scared now in case I cant get back into mine.
Sorry for the long windedness, its just since having my powerbook, this is the only thing I have struggled with.
Thanks all.

You can boot from the OS CD and in one of the menus is a Password Reset command. Do that to make sure you know you're password.

Stranger things have happened. :)

No it won't, it will have the Reset Password command in the Menus. Then you use a new or the same password.

Back