PB12 vs PB15

gderoover

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I know this is a hot topic right now in a lot of forums and 'I have spend the last 2 weeks browsing and reading rumors, articles, etc. But now as time goes I need to make a decision and it came down to this:

PB12: new generation of PB's (AE,Bluetooh,etc) but small screen and not DVI and limted Ram

PB15: DVI and larger screen but old generation (no AE, Bluetooh)

My dilemma is greater when it comes to lost in value, what I really need is a PB15, but I am afraid that Apple surprised us in 2 /3 week and then my investment goes to the drain. As oppose to the PB12 which is newer.

I am leaning toward getting a PB12 for a year max then resell and purchase a PB15 which I believe would be upgraded by then. Eventhough I feel that I would be doing exactly what Apple want us to do and feel manipulated again by those large corporation.

What do you guys think, please help you input would be extremely valuable in helping me reaching a decision. I am not posting this to inflamme a topic which has been discussed a lot

Thanks,

Giro

I felt exactly the same way that you do before I bought my pb 12. I wanted the 15 but couldn't see buying it and then the new models come out.

Now that I have it though I love it. It is very portable and does everything that I need it to do. It is good for using on a desk with an external monitor or in your lap with the regular display.

My recommendation is that you can't go wrong with the pb 12 and if you outgrow it in a year then sell it and get the 15

12" Powerbook

I got this one because on the size and it's also a bit cheaper. Does not scratch as easy either.

Go for the 12";)

If it can wait, wait. The 15" PB will most probably be updated in the middle of September...

If you can't wait for that, go for the 12" PB.

what would you be using your powerbook for?,

i love my 12PB but if you felt you needed the 15 inch you could get an older one on eBay, then sell it once the new Powerbooks come out

Not sure how this is Apple news, but you say you really need a 15. Why? I agree with the rest that a 12 will probably carry more resale value.
Can you wait a month and see if any PB changes will be announced in September? If so, you could wait for the new revision, or possibly get a price break.

Well, I think that the 15" powerbook will hold a a good value for while because it's the the last powerbook that will boot into os 9. I remember that my Lombard was sought after for a while because it was the last powerbook with SCSI.
A bit off topic but still :p

Viktor

Thank you very much for all your input, as I thought the PB12 might be the one.
I will keep you posted after I got it

Giro

If you can do without the extra stuff it doesn't have, including screen space, I'm sure you'll love it.

I just noticed that, even though you registered way back in 2000, you only have 4 posts to your name. Where have you been all this time, Roover?

Whose new baby? If it's mine, it won't be out for probably 5 years, since I don't even have a girlfriend.

Good luck getting one, though. I predict a year or two before they come out. If Apple puts a G6 into their Powermacs, they'll probably drop the G5 to the "rest o' dem" bunch.

Thanks Banjo,

I have been around, as a matter of fact, I forgot I register in 2000, so I went back to my original user name, that explain this... I guess

Do you know where I could get a mini-dock for the pb12

giro

Well, do you really need AirPort Extreme or Bluetooth? You can add both to a TiBook 15": AE through a PC-Card, BT through an USB adaptor.
However you _can't_ really add DVI to the TinyBook.
Speedwise, the 15" might have an edge, also you can upgrade it to a gig of RAM at a lesser price right now.

Still: I'd personally wait for the new 15" to be released now. If you get the 12", make sure that it DOES fit your needs.

I've looked at buying the 12" but one thing that have put me off is the screen. It doesn't seem to be at all as nice as on the 15" as far as brightness/contrast etc goes.
If I remember correctly the 12" iBook has a better looking screen, could this be due to the Graphic chip in the PB 12"? What I've heard it's not a very good one. What do you guy's think that own an 12" PowerBook of it's graphic capabilities?

Viktor

The graphic system in the 12" is not my favorite... but it should be ok and quite similar the others...

I don't like to start thinking about which is the best, when I know that new ones are coming really soon now...

I'll be waiting to see what's next...

- Powerbook 12 screen is definately brighter and nicer than iBook, and on par with 15"

- Graphics-wise, the 15" kicks the 12" all over town (Ghost Recon is crappy in 12", smooth as silk on 15")

- Widescreen is certainly much nicer

- 12" MUCH MUCH MUCH more portable. MUCH. HEAPS. HEAPS HEAPS. seriously- if you move a lot, get the 12.

- If you like the 12, get it now. if you like the 15, wait as long as humanly possible for these "updates" to come.

this is coming from someone who's owned a 15" 800 for 3 months, and currently has a 12". woot!

Call me Arden.

As for a min-dock, do you mean for the back of the computer? The thing you plug everything into, then you plug your computer into, so you don't have the whole cable mess all the time? I dunno, MacMall or MacZone or MacWherehouse might have something. This is the first non-15" Powerbook in a while; I don't know that the technology has caught up yet.

Back