Permissions Trauma In Jaguar

Hobeaux

Registered
I work in a PC/Mac production environment for a graphic design company and we use Windows 2000 Advanced Server (or whatever it's called) for our file server, web server, etc.

Ever since upgrading our Macs to Mac OS X 10.2.x any mac user that creates a directory on the Win file server takes "ownership" of the directory. Other users are unable to modify, save to, or move files within that directory. Can't move the directory, can't rename it...

supposedly the person who created the directory has the ability to set the permissions to Read/Write for all users, but I've never been able to get that to work.

To make matters worse, Getting Info on the directory doesn't show the real owner, but the person currently viewing the directory. That's not helpful info...

What gives? Why suddenly throw that on us? It doesn't empower us, but impedes us.

Anyone have a solution?

HAHA!
No way! I was having the same problem. Well that on top of I would copy a file over to a SGI Server and tell it to replace the file but instead it would make a copy of it! But it is completely erratic. Sometimes it will make a copy, sometimes it will replace it. Then there is the whole date issue. Sometimes the date is correct and other time it will be 1982, 1967, or 1972. That is completely erratic also. We are running FullPress 11.03 from Xinet and they are just finger pointing at Apple for any problem we have.

But to answer your question I just went to get info and fixed the permissions. When you create a folder on your hard drive you are the owner. So when we create a folder on a server we are still the owner. Even though we don't want it this way the OS doesn't know that so we have to change it manually. You can also changed it from your Win2K AS as Administrator.

Back