Photoshop question

bez

Registered
Hi guys, you may have read my other thread regarding saving a file in photoshop, so you can import it into quark without a white background. From what I can gather I need to create a clipping path. I am using photoshop elements and cant seem to find what I am supposed to be doing. Can anyone give me an idiots guide as to what I need to do :confused:

Also, what happens when I have created an intricate logo in photoshop, and then want to save that with no background so I can use it in quark over another colour. All I keep getting is white backgrounds filling my picture boxes. What is the best way to go about doing this? Please can someone provide a detailed description (ie what icons, or where I need to look on the software)

Many thanks

Dear Bez,

First of, upgrade your PhotoShop to the full version. PhotoShop Elements (PE) was designed for consumers to retouch and edit their digital photos. It wasn't designed for desktop publishing. I say this, because PE can't handle CYMK images. I also, I think it can't handle alpha channels, which is what you want for the background to be transparent.

To import an image into Quark with no background, you need to save the image as a PhotoShop EPS or TIFF. To do this, double-click the 'Background' layer in PhotoShop, this will turn it in to 'Layer 0', which also get rids of the white background.

Import your image in to the document and make a selection. Save this selection. This is now your 'clipping path'. Save the image and import it into Quark as usual. Quark should give you a dialog box saying there is a clipping path.

I am writing this from memory, so I might be a bit wrong, but the priciples are there. PE can't cut it, and you do need to upgrade.

Also, read the Quark manual which will give you more help. I think there is a downloadable version from the web, if not, there is a PDF on installer CD. Failing that, the QuickVisual guide are good, so buy a copy. You'll be up in no time...

Bang on cockneygeezer - but I'll have to chip in and say that you'll always get a much better clipping path if you create it by hand. It takes a wee while to get used to the Pen Tool - and may take more time to manually create a path - but its well worth it in most circumstances. [The pen tool in Photoshop is the most versatile and easy vector path tool I know - much better than that of Illustrator]. A work path automatically created from a selection tends to be loose with even to simplest shape. But if you're in a hurry and your image is high res or you've got a bit of edge to spare you can convert a selection to a path with decent results if you contract the selection before you create a work path. And - btw - The path tool is also very useful the other way - to create acurate selections from paths.

To create a usable path double click the work path (in the Paths window) to save it as a "proper" path - then if you want to set it as a Clipping Path use the fly out menu - again in the Paths window. Far too elaborate really. An EPS with a Clipping Path will always import clipped into QuarkXPress - but I seem to remember that a Tiff may not automatically do so - you may have to select the clipping path within QuarkXPress. A plus for Tiff is that you can select which Path to use a for clipping if your image has more than one.

Other options - get InDesign - which supports PSD files with transparency natively or get hold of one of the XTensions for QuarkXPress that allow it to do the same...

I would have to say the path tool in photoshop is IDENTICAL to the one in Illustrator, but I agree with your other comments, gdekadt.

Also in Photoshop you can paint a Layer Mask (add layer mask in the Layer Menu) and physically paint to the edge of your logo. Then you can make a path from that mask and Make Path in the Path tab/menu. Makes it easy to just paint a mask rather than drawing its exact path.

Sounds like you need Photoshop, though. Guess I was a lot of help, eh?! :)

Hi Nat' - you made me look again and I'll be...

My memory of Illustrator's Path tool is a bit off track. I remembered that the modifier keys had very little impact on the way the tool worked. Not so when creating a new path - but there is a big difference to me in that once a closed path is created it gets fiddly to modify. I really should read that Zen of Illustrator Article I found at creativepro...

As for painting a layer mask to making a path from - that's a bit round-about innit? Two points on that - firstly it's getting photoshop making a vector path from a pixel based selection - which tends to be loose at the best of times - but if you must - in this case when the image already has transparency - you should be first just Command[apple] click on the composite CMYK or RGB 'channel' to get a selection that exactly matches the image's transparency. No?

btw - it's Gabriel (or Gabs) - always forget to sign my name here...

Gabriel

Painting a mask is not round about if you want to create a feathered selection/clip. Usually, though, I just create a clipping path with the pen because, in the end, it's more accurate and more flexible.

a feathered "mask" is what I meant to say. Within photoshop this works great, but when you import the image, you better have a solid, vector-line clip. :) No need to eat your wig.

Back