Platinum Theme (Mail.app) - "The one with Susan..."

I like that look!! There is a shapeshifter theme out there that will make it look kinda like that but I really like the new window management.

Please everyone: Let's call it aluminum. Platinum appearance was Mac OS 8 until 9.22, this one does _not_ look like Apple's Platinum theme, rather it fits Apple's aluminum hardware better. So it's rather an aluminum theme...

i think fryke is right :) the ppl at apple insider and macrumors called it platinum but fryke wants us to call it aluminium. so well call it aluminium (*yeah right*)

i agree with fryke, it looks alluminum. i think of platinum as moer of a yellowis/goldish color than alluminum. this is definatly more silver.

well platinum looks essentially like silver. one who doesnt have platinum wires or jewelry will probably never distinguish betwwen silver and platinum.
platinum DOES NOT HAVE THE slighest taint of yellow...
if Dan u think this is definately more silver. than this looks more like platinum to u. and u just simply dont know what ur saying

if this is fun to you, than you can take a walk to the playground. anyone serious around in this forum any longer ???

It looks good -- I've always preferred the "membrane"-style buttons to the aqua buttons, and the "aluplinum" theme looks good so far. I like the fact that Mail will sport a single window, instead of a window and a drawer.

Soulseek: AppleInsider never called the new look a "platinum theme." Nor did they say that it was definitely platinum, and not aluminum or silver. They simply said that it sports a "platinum gradient," but never calls the new looks specifically "platinum." In fact, they don't call it anything except "the new look":

"An apparent blending of two themes, the new look lifts interface elements from both of the company's existing themes and embeds them inside a sleek platinum gradient."

Let's all make sure we actually read the story before we start name-calling, getting upset and getting in a tiffy about what it's called. The point isn't what the hell the theme most resembles, nor is it about what it's called, nor is it meant to start a war between the aluminum people and platinum people. As far as I'm concerned (and the story, as well), there isn't a name for it at all, and if you prefer platinum to aluminum, by golly, that's your right. No need to bash people who insist on calling it aluminum -- you know what they're talking about when they refer to "the new aluminum" theme, and no amount of yelling at them or getting upset at them is going to make them adopt your name for it, nor should it even matter.

Sheesh.

I think Fryke's macnews.net.tc is cooler than macrumors.com and macminute.com, so let's call it Aluminium.. Alright!? :)

over all, i like it, but i like the current brushed metal better. the new look is very very similar to the visual style i have running on my windows machine. i can post a screen shot if requested.

Yeah, i like the current UI much more too. And yes, this one is indeed too similar with Windows Longhorn's UI: Screenshot.

btw: i'm not saying it's UGLY, it's just not that good

I actually like the new look. I'm sure we have to see it in context and actually use it before making final conclusions (and I also remember many people telling Apple _not_ to use brushed metal that often, but obviously Steve didn't care, so I guess he won't skip it just because of some 'opinions'...). Also: This look _might_ change until final Tiger builds appear...

And: Thanks, senne. ;-) I didn't mean to convert people from other rumour sites to mine by calling it aluminum instead of platinum, I just think we should either see what Apple calls it or pick a name that's not 'taken' by a zombie operating system (OS 8/9)... :p

soulseek said:
if this is fun to you, than you can take a walk to the playground. anyone serious around in this forum any longer ???

Soulseek, you need to calm down and quit harassing the other users - you've been doing this quite frequently lately.

Most of us have been on these forums for quite a while longer than you, so I don't think you have much right to complain about the user base "anymore"... =)

Viro said:
Ahem. Aluminium. :D

Sorry, many (most?) of us speak this obscure dialect of English called "American" (Not to be confused with "North American"), where we tend to drop extra vowels (i.e. "color", "favorite", etc)

In some sub-dialects we also tend to drop vowels altogether (plz stp crrctng my spllng), which the European youth have been picking up as well. You tend to see them at the train stations stabbing at little keypads and squinting at 2.5cm screens =)

While it looks nice, not sure if it's something I'd like. I'd much prefer a brushed metal theme. Or even better, the ability to independently control each APP's theme. Have them both there and let me choose which has which.

Back