PowerBook 12" Reset Button

Finch

Insert something here...
Anyone aware of a reset button on the new PB 12" this is the first PB I've owned that dosen't have such a feature and I could really use it at the moment. Is there a key combonation I'm not aware of?

Thanks?
Finch

Cmd-Ctrl-Power key to force reset via the keyboard... pull the battery... I don't know if there's an actual button you press somewhere, there might be on the inside, but if there is it's probably complicated to reach.

I would recommend against pulling the battery out to perform a restart. That's like pulling the plug out of your desktop Mac when it's on. Just plain stupid.

The keyboard command is as close as you're gonna get to a restart button.

There is no reset on the 12" Powerbook, either external or internal.

You can reset the Power Manager by pressing the Control-Option-Shift-Power.

Bobw said that when you press control option shift and the power button up in the right corner you aren't resetting the powerbook, you are resettingthe power manager. (I'm pretty sure at least..)

He must have edited it, because when I read it the "f" in "shift" was missing....

Pulling the battery is the one surefire way of making your Book shut off, though it's also the most harmful. Only use as a last resort.

Thanks all for the input, seems the command option worked and saved me from pulling the bat. Now that the kernel panic hell is over I just thought maybe someone would know why Apple didn't add a reset button on the 12" PB?

Once again,
Thanks

...probably because all new Apple computers run OS X, and OS X doesn't need a restart but once in a blue moon. I think Apple's trying to get us away from the "start up the computer in the morning" and "shut it off at night" habit. Apple believes computers should be on all the time and just sleep when they're not in use.

This actually holds true more for UNIX in general than computers in general. UNIX performs certain cleanup activities late at night when nobody's on, and when one constantly shuts down and restarts the computer, avoiding this cleanup time, stuff starts to build up (hence the reason for Macjanitor). But that still doesn't mean Powerbooks shouldn't have an easy way to force shut down the computer without pulling the battery, in case everything, including the keyboard, locks up.

Actually, if you hold the power button down for several seconds, it should shut down. I just remembered about this because that's what the kernel panic box tells you to do.

Back