PowerBook G4 12" Won't Boot!

Finch

Insert something here...
So effective an hour ago my PB 12" won't boot... All I get is the grey screen with the Open Firmware info etc. with the options to type mac-boot or shut-down. If I typr mac-boot all I get is a folder blinking with a ?. I'm sure I could boot from my Panther disc but there is a CD in the drive which I can't get out, tried the eject and all with no luck! Can anyone tell how I can get the CD out? Key command etc. please...

Finch

No suck Luck with either? Thing is the machine won't boot. All I get is a DOS type start up screen with the option to enter mac-boot or shut-down.

Do a restart and press 'apple+option+p+r' right after it and hold the keys. After some time you should hear the starting sound again and then just press the option key to see how many boot option you got.
I know, I am repeating myself, but if this doesn't work, you should consult some professional help -> Apple Store

If you issue the command "eject cd" (without quotes of course) at the Open Firmware prompt, you can get your CD to eject. Next, pop in the Panther install CD and run the Disk Utility on there to find out what's wrong with the drive.

What exactly happened to prevent the computer from booting? Did it not shut down properly? Did something crash right before you shut down the last time? Did you install anything?

Hold down the mouse if you have one, or clicker pad while booting and see if the CD comes out.

If you've recently add ram, take that out and try.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If you issue the command "eject cd" (without quotes of course) at the Open Firmware prompt, you can get your CD to eject. Next, pop in the Panther install CD and run the Disk Utility on there to find out what's wrong with the drive.

What exactly happened to prevent the computer from booting? Did it not shut down properly? Did something crash right before you shut down the last time? Did you install anything?

"eject cd" worked! Seems I have a faulty AirPort Extreme card which caused this whole mess. Up and running, wired!

Thanks for the help,
Finch

Back