PowerBook G4 500mhz DVD broken

torres

unTitled 1
I have a PowerBook G4 500mhz and the DVD drive has stopped working. I put a CD in and it does nothing for about 30 - 60 seconds and then just spits the CD back out.

It's been this way for about a month or two. I was hoping that over time it would just fix itself.

Does anyone know how to fix this or where I can get a replacement drive? I'm willing to install it myself. I called apple and they said it would cost me about $400. That's a bit more than what I want to pay.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by torres
I have a PowerBook G4 500mhz and the DVD drive has stopped working. I put a CD in and it does nothing for about 30 - 60 seconds and then just spits the CD back out.

It's been this way for about a month or two. I was hoping that over time it would just fix itself.

Does anyone know how to fix this or where I can get a replacement drive? I'm willing to install it myself. I called apple and they said it would cost me about $400. That's a bit more than what I want to pay.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com has it for $150 :)
If you're covered under AppleCare, you'll get it replaced for free, though.

I had the same problem with my combo drive, but it did read DVDs. Apple replaced it.

I am using 10.2.4, but I think the I 've had the problem since before the upgrade.

as for pwerbookmedic.com, they didn't seem to have a replacement drive for the powerbook 500, but it's a great link and maybe I'll just keep checking it until one shows up.

Originally posted by torres
I am using 10.2.4, but I think the I 've had the problem since before the upgrade.

as for pwerbookmedic.com, they didn't seem to have a replacement drive for the powerbook 500, but it's a great link and maybe I'll just keep checking it until one shows up.

They do :)
Click 'Online Store', then 'PowerBook G4' on the left, then 'Internal Drives' :)

Back