Powerbook printing problem

thewelshman

Registered
I've got a network at home of around 5 computers, they all see the Epson 760 connected to a G4. I plug in my new Laptop (and also the drivers), but it cannot see any shared printers.

Turned off my firewall, fiddled with the sharing options just in case, but to no avail. Its not easy to see whats different.

Network consists, of 3 iMacs, a G3 B&W and a G4 QuickSilver. One of the iMacs had an Epson 740 attached also, all machines except the laptop can see its shared printer.

The network is fine, shared network drives, email, browsing are no problem. Mixture of 10.3.7 to 10.3.8.

Have I missed something embarassingly trivial?

Turns out that the netmask wasn't identicle with the rest of the house, I guess the lp daemon is pretty twitchy about subnets, as other tcp/ip communications work fine. Ftp, smtp, telnet afpoverip, nfs etc.

I took a look at the IP settings for the interface through Network and ifconfig -a just to make sure. The fix worked instantly.

This Laptop is new and sitting in an established house with a network of around 5 Macs a couple of SUNs and Linux boxes. You think I would know better.

Back