Powerbook Updates?

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
I am wondering if anyone has heard of any Powerbook updates. I understand no G5's blahblahblah. I am talking a boost in Ghz, Disc space, and the like. I am looking in the next month.

You'll definitely want to wait until the next MacWorld (Jan 7th, I believe) to find out if there are any updates soon.

Rumor has it there might be.

Boston in July has stopped to be 'interesting' in that aspect, as Apple now uses WWDC a few days before MWBO to introduce new hardware. Apple is not part of MWBO.

Thank you everyone! I will be waiting just in case. My DSL won't be kicking in until Jan 10th anyway. Gotsta have the WiFi! 17" PB for me!

Also, I have been reading on the board a bit about Dual Processor PBs. What is everyone take on that? I see it as fesible since they don't have a G5 prepared yet.

The battery life on a dual core laptop would be horrendous, and there'd be even more of a heat issue unless they change the design (even the current PowerBook runs hot). At a time when "G4" is sounding more and more antique, I think Apple is probably anxious to start developing a new G5 model asap. I think it's far more likely that we'll continue to see minor CPU upgrades to the current generation.

if there are powerbook updates, i would like to see a 4th Powerbook model introduced a 15" PB tablet. :D

My brother-in-law just got a laptop of his own, a Toshiba tablet, it's nice for a wintel, but he's already had to return it :)

RGrphc2 said:
if there are powerbook updates, i would like to see a 4th Powerbook model introduced a 15" PB tablet. :D

My brother-in-law just got a laptop of his own, a Toshiba tablet, it's nice for a wintel, but he's already had to return it :)

I just saw an HP tablet that looked really cool. It even has it's own keyboard.

Attachments

• mobility.jpg
    mobility.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 24
WinWord10 said:
The battery life on a dual core laptop would be horrendous, and there'd be even more of a heat issue unless they change the design (even the current PowerBook runs hot). At a time when "G4" is sounding more and more antique, I think Apple is probably anxious to start developing a new G5 model asap. I think it's far more likely that we'll continue to see minor CPU upgrades to the current generation.
Actually, it wouldn't be as bad as you think. Several components would be shared between the two cores (which really is a copy of the key aspects like the registers, pipeline, and processing units). The connection to the outside world would be shared, and possibly a few other components.

That said, I would agree Apple would rather push for a 970-based design. On the flip-side, a low power dual-core 970 variant would be pretty welcome. One of the things about a dual-core system that would make it really useful is a method of saving power by shutting off one of the cores, but I don't know exactly how feasible that is.

I think Apple will announce when they will release new Powerbook G5's at MWSF, and possibly release upgraded PB G4's at the time. It's been 3-ish months since the iMac G5 came out, think another 3 months will be enough? (I see the iMac as a transition from the hugeness of the G5 to the compactness of the Powerbook, though it certainly makes a kick-ass computer in of itself.)

Unfortunately, I am unable to coax anything out of Phil Schiller, so I can't say for certain. (Yes, I chat with him on iChat. And no, I'm not making that up.)

No, Steve-o got burned when he announced the 3Ghz deal on PMs. He won't do it again without being 100% sure that that deadline can be met.

Arden said:
Unfortunately, I am unable to coax anything out of Phil Schiller, so I can't say for certain. (Yes, I chat with him on iChat. And no, I'm not making that up.)

Who is Phil Schiller?

VP of Microsoft... I'm sure you remember the "Monkey Boy" video of a fat, balding, sweaty idiot dancing around on Microsoft's stage chanting, "Developers, developers, developers, developers!"

That's him. We like to call him Satan on this side of the fence.

Uh, wow... I can't tell the sarcasm and jokes from the serious questions and responses anymore... :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, Phil Schiller is on Apple's board of directors. He is directly involved with the Macintosh line, if I recall directly.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
VP of Microsoft... I'm sure you remember the "Monkey Boy" video of a fat, balding, sweaty idiot dancing around on Microsoft's stage chanting, "Developers, developers, developers, developers!"

That's Steve Ballmer the monkey boy. When the video was first aired, I was still a Windows developer. After seeing that video, I decided to start looking at alternatives, namely Java and *nix programming :).

Incremental HW upgrades do not follow the MW timing, they are quite asynchronous. They are annouced when they are ready.

Viro said:
That's Steve Ballmer the monkey boy. When the video was first aired, I was still a Windows developer. After seeing that video, I decided to start looking at alternatives, namely Java and *nix programming :).

Oh hell, you're right... Phil Schiller, Steve Ballmer, dammit, I get 'em confused!

I take back the Satan remark and redirect it to Steve Ballmer.

Phil Schiller is senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing for Apple. He's a good guy... ;) He usually announces new products along with Steve, and, in the case of Steve's absense, does them himself.

Still, I wish we had some embarrassing videos of Apple reps just for fun as well...

ElDiabloConCaca said:

For those who are lost, that would be a man called Steve Ballmer, who does indeed work for Microsoft and NOT Apple.

MDLarson said:
For those who are lost, that would be a man called Steve Ballmer, who does indeed work for Microsoft and NOT Apple.

Ummm, yeah. Which we cleared up yesterday in the previous post and posts before that.

Not lost, just got confused.

Back