Powermac form factor change

TimR

Registered
Apple is overdue on upraded G5 PowerMacs. Does anyone have any idea (rumours) if they are going to revise the current form factor and what speeds might be??

Just curious is all....I'm due for a new machine soon..

Later
Tim

I REALLY doubt we'd see a chassis change. Im no expert, but from what i can remember the G4 case stayed the same for quite a long time before it got any upgrades. The PowerMac G5 is relatively new. I'm willing to bet it'll be around for a little while longer.

I doubt the form factor will change. There's no reason to change it -- it's still a G5, and the case is great the way it is (not perfect, but still great). If any changes to the case are made, I would bet they'd be subtle... like perhaps dual-optical bays, or changes to the front ports or something.

Really, the G4 tower had significant changes internally during its life. The silhouette did not change, but lots of details on both front and back panels. And various large changes inside to support different drive configurations, different slot layouts, different processor locations, with cooling updates, etc. The MDD model is vastly different from the first PCI G4.

DeltaMac said:
Really, the G4 tower had significant changes internally during its life.

As i understood the question he was asking about the case not the internals. As for the case, I'll second what ElDiablo said, that if there are goign to be changes, they'll likely be optical drives or different ports in the rear. The over all case design is still knew, and its likely it wont change...

But on the otherhand, as DeltaMac said, There could be major components changed. Maybe we'll see liquid cooling on the whole line.

I just find the G5 tower to be quite large....still very cool though. Liquid cooling would be nice, anyone have any long term experience with it though....??

Thanks for the input...

later
Tim

TimR said:
I just find the G5 tower to be quite large....still very cool though. Liquid cooling would be nice, anyone have any long term experience with it though....??

Thanks for the input...

later
Tim
You clearly have not been paying attention. The Power Mac G5 is liquid-cooled. The cooling system is provided by automobile parts manufacturing giant Delphi. It was in all the papers.

I know the 2.5 dual is liquid cooled... I'm just curious how they will hold out in a few years when things start getting old....hate to see liquid coming out the bottom of the computer... :D

Tim

Hmmm... to get technical, only one model of the Power Macintosh G5 is liquid-cooled (2 x 2.5GHz). The rest are standard air-cooled.

It will be interesting to see if, when the 2.5GHz model isn't the top model, if advances in air-cooling or processor temperature will negate the need for liquid-cooling -- perhaps liquid-cooling will only be available on the top-end model, if chip fabrication can bring down the temps on the slower models.

The basic shape/form of the case stayed the same from the G3 B&W through the G4 until the intro of the G5. They might make some minor adjustments, but I doubt the basics will change much.

The liquid cooling seems to be holding up well from all that I've seen about it. I haven't seen/heard of any major issues being brought up about it. Time will tell of course, but I doubt there will be any large issues until the machines are 5 to 7+ years old. Delphi is well versed in that kind of stuff, and the systems in the PMacs are much simpler and have less of a demand than what they're usually dealing with on the automotive side of things.

Right now the only reason for more models with water cooling would be processor speed increases if they stick with an unrevised PPC970FX. The power consumption of that chip starts to climb almost vertically just above 2.3GHz. The jump from 2.0GHz (24.5W) to 2.5GHz (40W to 50W) is pretty big, especially when you consider that at 1.4GHz it only draws around 13.2W.

I also think that the general outward look of the case will stay the same, but i really do think that they need a couple more drive bays internally. I was shocked when i first saw that there was only two 3.5 bays and one optical bay.

So how long did that "iLamp" iMac G4 flat panel design last? Couldn't have been long because I still remember it and use to own one. Now we have a new design for the iMac G5's.

If you say the new iMac design is needed for proper cooling of the G5, I'll accept that. Doesn't change the fact that Apple did ditch that lamp-ish design. I actually liked that dome base...

One, maybe two years max. However, iMacs and PowerMacs are two entirely different beasts.

The flat panel iMac (the wondrous 'Lamp-Stand') was introduced in Jan 2002, and discontinued in July 2004, so sold as new for 2 1/2 years total.

Back