printer issue: hp 2600n

Chris18

Registered
I am running OS 10.3.9, and have an hp 2600n color laserjet printer. Had both for years and never had a problem.

Yesterday I hit print, (2600n is only printer, Mac is only cpu connected) and I got a printing error. Word told me to select a printer. 2600n was the default... I checked System Profiler- and saw that the 2600n showed up. Connections seemed good (good enough to show up in Profiler). I ran Tech Tools 4- which also found the 2600n. I chose the 2600n as the default printer again, and it still didn't work. I re-installed the software, which didn't help...

Ran the test print on the 2600n, and it is perfect. Hp site was useless. So I'm turning to all the Mac experts on here! Can anyone help me out here? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

BTW- I searched for similar threads but didn't find any. If there are, links to them would be great. Thanks.

My Department has a Color LaserJet 2600n. It works well. Since you have not given a hint as to why yours now does not work well, we are left to speculate. The CLJ 2600n is a Rendezvous/Bonjour printer. However, the printer seems to use Bonjour only to secure a network connection. My experience is that it does not automatically associate the driver with the printer. Installing the driver is no sufficient. Use Printer Setup Utility to setup your printer. This will ensure that the driver is properly communicating with the printer.

It is not the actual printer. I had to bring a PC home from work (I know- eww!), and hooked it up. It printed normally after installing the software. I went back to the Mac and tried to print to pdf- no go.

I had a power outage the other day and thought nothing of it. Could that have corrupted the printer setup utility? How would I fix that?

Thanks!

Well that program looked promising, but now I've got a different set of issues. The printer is connected via USB. When I try to re-add the printer it is not recognized through Rendezvous, so I try USB. PSU shows it, but says the driver is not installed. When I try to install the software DLed from the hp site, it says it can't be installed because there is already a newer version installed. ???? Any ideas besides a hammer?

Thanks.

Tried the ethernet idea. Same issue- "driver not installed" but the installation would not work because "a newer version is already installed".

Dumb question- how do I uninstall or delete the "newer" printer software? (I find this pretty funny considering there is only 1 version on the hp site)

Again, thanks for any help.

Spoke to HP who had me uninstall & reinstall printer software. Didn't work, so I called Apple. Tried many things, and eventual outcome was to reinstall system software.

Printer works! But now I've got all the annoying bugs like a few programs going kooky on me. But at least I can print...

Just figured I would post the eventual solution, even if it stinks.

This one is WEIRD- my Alt/C & Alt/V aren't working. What the? Any ideas on that?

Thanks for the help.

It was the keyboard software needing re-installation.

Now hard drive space is an issue. (Fun never ends!) Can I safely move the "Previous Systems" folder to a backup external hard drive and successfully bring components back if ever needed?

Thanks!

Back