Problems with Desktop (Mac OS 9) alias/network

fdumptch

Registered
I have recreated the "Desktop (Mac OS 9)" alias on each computer and I still have problems.

I have two Macs that have both OS 9 and Panther on the one partition. I have one Mac that has Jag on one partition and OS 9 on the other. There are no problems accessing any directory on the Mac that has two seperate volumes - as basically there is no need to have the "Desktop (Mac OS 9)" alias on this machine - I can just access this directly by mounting the OS 9 partition.

The alias's work fine and as expected on each individual computer through physical access, but as soon as I try to access the G4's OS 9 Desktop from the iMac - it points back to the iMac's OS 9 Desktop.

When I was running Jaguar, I could easily navigate to any directory of any machine connected to the network. Jaguar (and OS 9 )would even automagically mount a volume if an alias pointed to a volume that wasn't yet mounted... now I just get an error that the volume isn't mounted and have to go and do it manually.

By default, when I connect to either computer I get the choice of mounting the whole volume "Macintosh HD" or the User's home directory. I used to be able to just mount my home directory and then later gain access to the root level by accessing the Desktop OS 9 directory - which resides on the root level.

I can still navigate to other folders that reside on the OS 9 Desktop - but I can't access the OS 9 Desktop directly - I just get pointed back to the Desktop of the wrong machine.

So it's basically the "Desktop (Mac OS 9)" alias that isn't behaving correctly under Panther -

Stumped.

Back