Progress with OmniWeb?

neutrino23

Registered
Does anyone know how things are going with OmniWeb? I'm now using the 4.1b version and am looking forward to the full release of 4.1.

Is there a place on these boards that tracks OW?

thanks

If you download their sneakypeeks, you can see for yourself how progress is going.... they basically release every build they make to the public through their sneakypeek release directory... currently, the release is at 4.1sp41. Seems pretty solid still.

Here's the sneakypeek directory:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/releases/

The login is "sneakypeek", and the password is "ireadthereadme".

Have fun! :) OmniWeb rocks -- I just wish they had more that "one and a half developers" working on it...

Thanks. I hadn't tried the sneeky peeks before though I had heard of them. The improvements are obvious. This is really getting to be a great browser.

The previously released browser had issues with java. This sp seems much better. It was able to display a slide show on Apple's site - the previous one couldn't and it rendered some other java applets well from some newspaper sites I visit.

I talked to the OW people at their booth at MWSF. They are looking forward to the next release but wouldn't speculate on a date.

neutrino - Brian of OW told SimX and I (at mwsf also) that a truly full featured release is not due until sometime near the end of this year. Hopefully we will see the sneakypeeks get closer and closer to that as we go along.:)

Wow! I wonder if that refers to a 5.x release? For their sake I hope they will get out a version 4.2 or 4.3 before then. I think they will get more people to pay for it if it is not called a beta version.

I also hope for their sake they start implementing better CSS support. I'm sorry but as pretty as OW is, I can't stand not having many of the web standards not supported on it ATM.

Back