Pros And Cons: Installing An Ssd In A 2009 Macbookpro

Discussion in 'Apple News, Rumors & Discussion' started by TuckerdogAVL, Jul 6, 2017.

1. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

We need to (obviously) do something about our old MacBookPro (mid-2009). It's got 600gb HD, 2.53Ghz proc and 8GM Ram (4 in both slots) with a 9400M 256MB graphics card. I have a 2014 MacMini Turbo 1TB. It's okay, but I do do some iMovie stuff and Photoshop and even with Word.docx, occasionally I wait for the pinwheel when I'm editing a large document. However, we have used it primarily as a HD for about three years now, though occasionally we need a laptop if we travel (which is infrequent). So, I'm thinking, instead of another MacMini (and this would be the 8gb one for $600), how about swapping out the HD for an SSD (priced at $250 here + $115 to do the job and reinstall the files, etc. (Only 250gb used of the 600). Plus, I could replace the battery (died and can only be used with power) for another $130. I'd have what the computer guys tell me a faster computer than the MacMini for about the same price with a little to spare. I have one iPAD which I use occasionally and it is great for travel, but as we know, it's hard for two people to use one iPAD... and even adding a keyboard to it, adds another $70-$140 depending on off-brand or Apple.

Thoughts? Pro and Con?
    Pro: Laptop
    cheaper to upgrade
    New battery
    New SSD
    Possible faster than 8gm Mac Mini (have keyboard and monitor already)

Con: Old
    Will it be faster?
    Running El Capitan now. Will it run Sierra?
    How much life in it if the SSD is replaced?

And other thoughts?
    PS I have a 2002 Quicksilver in the basement that I also need to either donate or do something with (I think the speakers are worth more than it is :) along with a 21" Cinema Display, but the point is, I fired it up the other day and it actually processes faster than the Macbookpro.

2. Satcomer

Satcomer
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    In Geostationary Orbit

A SSD will be so much faster! One pitch fall is the age of the computer and cables inside being brittle, so be very careful!

Here is install video that might help you:

3. DeltaMac

DeltaMac
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Tech

Your mid-2009 MBPro will be limited to El Capitan.

4. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Hey there. All set to order an SSD, a new battery, have them copy the old drive and install (for the low, low price of $100 for all the install, so I figured let them worry about it) ... I just got off the phone with our local 5-star Mac store, and the tech just informed me that the 2.53GHz mid-2009 Mac Book Pro I have (with 8GB mem, 1067 RDR3, GeForce 9400M 256MB) can only take a 256GB SSD. Yet, a vid I watched on CNET showed the woman installing a 500GB. So... how do I find out the largest I can install? (Mind you, I have 650gb with 415gb free so with a little tweaking I could probably get a 320 or even 256 to work ... but as we all know, more is better).

5. Satcomer

Satcomer
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    In Geostationary Orbit

Remember that an SSD will be much quicker but smaller size for music & videos! So consider first getting a good external to first copy all the videos, music and saved emails to it or used as a Cloned drive!

6. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

So the answer is ...

7. DeltaMac

DeltaMac
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Tech

The tech that you asked is really wrong --- or simply gave you the wrong impression. If there is a limit, it would be your budget :D (also physical size, not capacity)
    Let me say this another way --- there would be no technical reason that you can't use a 2TB SSD internally, assuming you can afford it, and also that it is not too thick to fit inside your MacBookPro. You DO have to be careful to get a drive that is 9.5mm or less in height. The drives with more capacity tend to be thicker. You can certainly find 500GB size that thin, also 1TB.
    You would have to decide if you want to spend the extra money, as the price still ramps up pretty quick with larger capacity.
    (OWC states that you could go to a 12.5mm, but I have also read reports where users had problems fitting the drive in place. I would watch for 9.5mm or less. The thin ones come with spacers so the drives don't move around once installed.)

#7 DeltaMac, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  8. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Thank you. Here's what I think is going on (from the book I am writing, "What you Don't Know that you Didn't Ask: To Save Time, Money and Aggrevation"). The only ones THEY sell are 256GB that are 9.5mm or less. They will INSTALL an SSD that is bigger (hence the first conversation as I mentioned the Samsung 500gb) but he only wanted to talk about what THEY sell. So had I asked regarding the information you've provided, I would imagine I would get the answer now. Thanks. Back to the beginning ... but with more information. (Now I have to decide whether to use them or not; they are the best in town consistently. Maybe ask for a tech other than Brandon or Biff or whatever his name was :) Cody. I think it was Cody.

9. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Quick question, sort of off this topic. You mentioned that filling up the SSD with files will slow things down... My 2014 Mac Mini (Had to go that route re: budget) does get sluggish with iMovie and even Word (I get spinning sometimes). I have a 1T SSD with ~450GB free. Could some of my issue be all the stuff on the SSD even though there's plenty of room?

10. DeltaMac

DeltaMac
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Tech

No, the space available would not be contributing to what you are experiencing.
    I would more suspect software --- but how much RAM do you have?
    You can open your Activity Monitor (make sure it is set to display ALL processes, not just MY processes, it's in the menus somewhere)
    You can watch that, then sort by CPU time, or memory in use, and you might see that some process or one of your apps is hogging the CPU.
    You can also watch the memory tab, where you will see Memory Pressure (should normally be green, and relatively low) and watch if there is a lot of swap in use.
    The Energy tab may also help you decide if an app (or several apps) are using a lot of energy (so lots of CPU time, probably a lot of RAM used, but gives you an overall view of what makes your mini work too hard :D

11. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

16 (1600 MHz DDR3, 2.6Ghx INtel Core i5 processor) in the Mac Mini. Yeah, I've watched that before ... fun, but it didn't seem to really tell me anything other than the computer was working and there were things running :) kernal_task and mds_stores, then mail, are the "usual" biggest memory users. Then the browsers ie Safari, Firefox, Chrome (I do tend to leave them all open; need to get into the habit of closing the ones I'm not using, but I use all three for different purposes). In fact, lately, Firefox has been freezing for no apparent reason and Chrome will occasionally freeze the mouse.

12. DeltaMac

DeltaMac
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Tech

OK --- in the Memory tab, do you see swapouts, or is the memory ever in the red, or even yellow?

"mds_stores" and other processes using "mds" are part of Spotlight. It hurts nothing to reset the spotlight database, and can help with performance issues.
    There's simple terminal commands to do that, but I usually just open the Spotlight pane in System Preferences, then Privacy tab. Add your hard drive to that privacy tab, which will immediately clear out the spotlight database. (it will pop up asking if that's really what you want to do, and it is ... ). Close the pane, reopen it, then remove your hard drive from the privacy list.
    That will, after a short delay, rebuild the spotlight database. This indexing can take several minutes, to an hour or more to finish. I will usually just leave it alone for that time (although there's nothing preventing you from doing "things" while that rebuild completes. You can do a search for some random item in Spotlight to see if it is still indexing.

Because I do a lot of different tasks that involve installing random apps to test, then removing, then going on to something else, then installing/removing, etc --- my system tends to accumulate "cruft", along with occasional adware that installs, even though I watch for that kind of thing during an install, things slip through. I run Malwarebytes app to scan. If THAT finds more than one or two items, I will often (once or twice a month, maybe) boot up to my Sierra installer, then reinstall the system. That reinstall (something that I like to call a "system repair install") tends to clean out excessive caches, and also removes stored temp files that are in the various hidden folders in the system.
    That, my friend, is usually pretty effective in getting system response to return to what I consider to be normal for my system.
    ANOTHER tip (simpler, particularly if you don't think you really want to reinstall macOS) --- go in to your user Library folder, and drag the Caches folder to the trash.
    If you don't see a Library folder in your user folder (the home folder), then go to the Go menu, press your Option key, and you will see the Library appear in that Go menu, choose it there!
    Anyway, drag the Caches folder to the trash.
    Restart immediately after you do that.
    Empty your trash after the restart. You will probably get an extra 2GB of space back on your drive, if your computer use is anything like mine. (The Caches folder is recreated automatically as you use your Mac.)

13. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I will print out and check these things out. Thanks so much.

14. TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Hmmmm... I've been working with them for almost as long as they have been in business. Strange that he would answer that way. Don't want to get him "in trouble" but now I have to call a third time (or go down there). The last time I went down there they were all on break, the techs, and the person at the front was clueless (seriously. Admitted to be there only to answer the phone at that time. :) And that's unusual as everyone in the past has been highly responsive and educated about all things Apple.