Quark bombing?

fongster

Registered
Hi, I have a 733 G4 with 6-hundred something RAM and my QX v4.11 is locking up ("unexpectedly quits") in the middle of my work. It has never done that before. I recently installed Real Player 8 but ditched it and all its' files. I was thinking is might be some offending extension related to RP since it was the only SW change that has been made. I rebuilt the DT, ran NU--disk doctor and speed disk. I still get the lockup and used Sherlock to locate anymore RP files. I found a few more but I thought they were already on the machine since purchase and like I said, there were no probs until now. I moved them to "disabled extensions" or trashed. Thoughts?

Is it always the same file that crashes ? If yes, rebuild it (maintain commaned-alt when opening it). Try booting Quark with no XT. Try coming back to the Base13 fonts. And then tell us more.

The cleanest, if most annoying, method is to reinstall the offending program, in this case QX. Also, see if Real Player has an uninstaller contained within its installer, which may pick more stuff out than you could.

Check how much memory is allocated for Quark. Quit the program, go to the Quark folder and click once on the main icon (the one you would use to start it up). Now go to the file menu>Get Info>Memory. I bet it is running on the minimum allocation. Give it 10,000K more in the preferred box. Close the window and give it a try.

Hi all, thanks for your responses. First, the files that were open that it quit in were different ones but all had pretty large photos in them utilizing 'run around object' or something like that--that seemed to be a common issue. I got rid of the runaround on the tifs and used eps with clipping paths instead--I think it stopped then, not totally sure. Removing all the RP stuff didn't make a diff or so it seemed. I did check the allocated memory and it was on minimums, Cheryl. I opened less complex files and no more bombing. I did get my deadlines met, phew! I forgot to get back to you folks, sorry. I just allocated more mem, after the fact but ya never know for later. Thanks!

P.S. I heard QX 4.11 is a buggy app.

Back