Recommended Multi-functional scanner/printer?

JeffCGD

Registered
I'm considering getting a multi-function scanner/printer as they do seem to take up much less space. Can anyone recommend any particular brands and/or models for OSX (Panther)? The chosen device will need good drivers (nothing flaky), decent support (service dept. doesn't disavow their own OSX support), and ideally it should be able to output half decent, reliable colour should I actually need to do some sort of colour proofing on it (as well as scanning stuff in well too). Is this all a pipe dream, or have multi-functionals got this far?

Hi jeffCGD

I believe that you are aware of the fact that multifunctionnal devices means compromising the same way you're using an audio all-in-one rather than seperate elements. I am using an epson cx 6600 and am pleased with it eventhough a sepaerate scanner would probably be performing a lot better. Anyway I'm using it with 10.3.9, the driver's ok and the result as far as my needs are concerned they are fulfilled.
I used to own an HP 2175 and the epson advantage is separate colour catridges and so far proves to be more economical and the scanning functions are faster.

good luck

I have a epson stylus cx4600. The good: Works fine with Tiger and prints okay. The bad: Seems to consume a lot of ink which is expensive.

What I can say is avoid the HP solutions. I say this because the drivers that HP has developped are bug prone. The hardware on the other hand is quite good.

I would go with either an Epson or HP model. If you do choose HP, go with their 'OfficeJet' versions instead of the 'home/consumer' models.

As far as color goes, I haven't tried any Epson AIOs in a while. The HP OJ6110 will handle color just fine. The HP OJ7210 should do the same, if not better as it'll also accept the photo cartridge.

After much looking, several purchases and the subsequent returns, I landed with an Epson RX500. The drivers are native (not thunked into classic) and full featured. The hardware is nice - ink is a *little* pricey but not bad and the output is fantastic!! Scanning is nice, but there are nicer. It's far and away better than the other Epson scanners I looked at and the only one that seems to have OS/X on the brain when the drivers were being developed (The Epson Perfection series seems cobbled together).

I recommend it. And at $299 for a Scanner/Copier/(photo)Printer, you can't really beat it.

JeffCGD said:
I'm considering getting a multi-function scanner/printer as they do seem to take up much less space. Can anyone recommend any particular brands and/or models for OSX (Panther)? The chosen device will need good drivers (nothing flaky), decent support (service dept. doesn't disavow their own OSX support), and ideally it should be able to output half decent, reliable colour should I actually need to do some sort of colour proofing on it (as well as scanning stuff in well too). Is this all a pipe dream, or have multi-functionals got this far?

mdnky said:
I would go with either an Epson or HP model. If you do choose HP, go with their 'OfficeJet' versions instead of the 'home/consumer' models.

As far as color goes, I haven't tried any Epson AIOs in a while. The HP OJ6110 will handle color just fine. The HP OJ7210 should do the same, if not better as it'll also accept the photo cartridge.

All I can say is DON'T go with HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one. I've got one and it's so not working with several programs. It frustrates me every time I do an OSX update. And HP's service has been crap! Just when I think it's working it stops again, and I didn't change or add or update anything recently.

chornbe said:
After much looking, several purchases and the subsequent returns, I landed with an Epson RX500. The drivers are native (not thunked into classic) and full featured. The hardware is nice - ink is a *little* pricey but not bad and the output is fantastic!! Scanning is nice, but there are nicer. It's far and away better than the other Epson scanners I looked at and the only one that seems to have OS/X on the brain when the drivers were being developed (The Epson Perfection series seems cobbled together).

I recommend it. And at $299 for a Scanner/Copier/(photo)Printer, you can't really beat it.

Sounds a bit expensive upfront. What about ink cost? are the black and colors seperate or in one cartridge? Are the individual colors seperate or together. I used to love refilling my own but that seems to be a problem with my 2 year old HP piee of crap.

jsnap said:
All I can say is DON'T go with HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one. I've got one and it's so not working with several programs. It frustrates me every time I do an OSX update. And HP's service has been crap! Just when I think it's working it stops again, and I didn't change or add or update anything recently.

Works great for me with any program I try it from...has since day one. If you haven't already done it, you should install the update.

I have done this already. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, but it has just stopped working for a couple of my programs recently. So, I unistalled and reinstalled the updates again yesterday, but still no progress. :mad:

jsnap, in the dark times when I had an all-in-one HP I installed the latest update, only to discover that the update was less stable than the previous version.

If you can, try reverting to the initial driver.

I eventually changed printer OEM.

aicul said:
jsnap, in the dark times when I had an all-in-one HP I installed the latest update, only to discover that the update was less stable than the previous version.

If you can, try reverting to the initial driver.

I eventually changed printer OEM.

Thank you so much for this advice. You are an ::angel::
I called HP and asked about your idea and, :eek: Oh my gosh!, the tech I got agreed with your suggestion of installing the original drivers. So I did it and it worked! At least now I can print again with most of my programs.

OEM = Original what?

I haven't had time to try any of the other functions yet as I have lost many, many days of work time trying to get this printer working again with all the programs, browser pages, etc..

I've got a killer headache now. I feel like crap! I haven't completed diddle in most of the rest of my life in many days because of this problem, and the long weekend has rolled in too. My poor horse hasn't seen me in weeks and he's over due for his deworming meds. Thank god he lives with many other horses in a grassy field so he's never lonely, and he lives on a farm where there are other people to look after him (re: feed him if there isn't enough grass) when I can't be there. However, they aren't too good about checking him for serious health problems, unless he's lying down and doesn't get up, and they won't worm him for me. I'm supposed to be at my nephew's birthday dinner in 25 minutes and I haven't had time to get a card or a gift ($$ will have to do and hope I've got a card in my stack on my desk that's good for a 14 year old boy). I'm suppose to do some volunteering this weekend and attend several graduation parties for relatives and children of friends coming out of high school. I'm seriously pressed for time.

Think I'll take something for the headache then search thru the cards. God I hope I have some money in my wallet.

I guess you would be a happy man if the new OSX 10.5 would be called "Back Stalion".

Good thing the printer came back to life.

::ha:: That would be funny! However, it seems they are all named after this planet's big cats, the predatory feeders, which I also find kinda funny, since they aren't exactly eating anything other than memory on our HD and money from our bank accounts. What a racquet this is.

I am very happy the printer's working again. Got to see my horse yesterday and am heading out to see him again in a minute. He wasn't in the mood for a ride though. The worming meds do a number on his intestines. Wish I didn't have to give him any, but such is life. It's required for boarding facilities, especially for horses that live in the pasture.

Enjoy your long weekend everyone.

I was looking at the Epson Aculaser CX11N. Have cruised some forums looking for issues (if there are any). I was hoping to get good news on the scanning function of this machine...

JeffCGD said:

Hello Jeff.

Let me first give a word of caution on brands and their compatibility. When I was looking to buy a multi-function printer I was advised at the time (2.5 years ago) that Canon and Epson were the only two brands to consider for a Mac. This was largely due to the quality of their drivers. And although there are many other brands that cater to the Mac platform - it has since been my observation that the drivers for them are often poorly written/created and are rarely updated quickly. For instance, when the OS X panther 10.3.9 update came out, new printer drivers were required. Epson was quick to release the new drivers (within a week) while many of my friends (who had other brand printers) were waiting up to 6 months for the compatible Mac drivers... I have been involved in the graphics and print industry for nearly a decade - and my experience is that Epson have often been the brand of choice for Mac users and graphic artists/designers for both print quality and compatibility. Just an observation.

I guess I'm going to echo the sentiments expressed by "chornbe" and his RX500... I purchased an Epson RX510 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. In fact, as time has progressed I've found myself in awe of its capabilities. My RX510 is a pretty smart looking little thing. Small and convenient, it has nice lines and a respectable two toned grey finish. I wasn't expecting the scanner to be crash hot - and I wasn't worried as I already had a professional Canon flatbed scanner. But I soon got rid of the professional scanner as the inbuilt scanner in this multi-function is top notch! I cannot stress this enough - the scanner on this thing is awesome!!! Compared to the professional flatbed, the RX510's scanner was sharper, more colour correct, and (with USB 2 connection) faster. The RX510 also has the ability to scan photo negatives and slide film - which I have found to be very useful indeed. In regards to output... I have one word; "amazing." Provided you use decent paper stock and the right print settings, the results can be very professional. These days I pretty much shoot slide film, scan the slide in, and print onto photo-printing paper. The result is stunning! Just as good as any professional lab. The included scanning software is easy to navigate with a host of pro settings. Colour can be accurate (but depends on ink, paper, and correct settings) - and I use mine to colour proof often. The RX510 has 6 separate ink tanks: CMYK with light Cyan and light Magenta. (I think the latest model has 8 ink tanks.) It has one touch B+W or colour copying, and built-in slots for memory cards. Hell... the thing even turns itself off!!!

As you can see, I can't say enough good things about this multi-function unit. So instead, I tell you the bad things. Firstly, ink cost is pretty negative. The genuine Epson cartridges are expensive and of small size (17ml). You can use the "no-name" brand cartridges - but what you save in dollars you pay for in print quality and colour correctness. (Furthermore, it doesn't help that if one colour has run out - it will not print at all!) The best solution (as I have done) is to invest in a exterior ink system where it can hold 100ml or more of ink for each colour, and the ink is fed to the printer via tubes. The only other issue I've had is printing text at small sizes, it can be problematic. You can't really print text below 6pt in size without it coming out dodgy. Other than those two exceptions, the Epson RX510 is remarkable piece of equipment that for what it does, is extremely well priced. I've been constantly surprised at what this multi-function scanner/printer can do. Absolutely recommended. (Although I imagine there's a new and improved model out by now...)

Back