Record it for later.

Reality

Registered
Ok, I need some opinions and suggestions on something I want to start doing on my Mac. For a long time now I been wishing to record some shows I like, but by chance can't be around to watch them. In other cases I wish that I could record short movies, or get a screen capture of a video game I'm playing.

I could do the easy things, like get a VCR, but then finding ways to get what I recorded on my Mac be a hassle. I been looking at other things like Panasonic's line of DVD recorders. Then I would suppose I'd only have to use something like Mac the Ripper to take of the burnt DVD what I recorded.

The 3rd option and one I'm hoping be the simplest, is to just get something for my Mac to record TV. Right now I only own a eMac and it's not powerful. I just might get a Powermac G5 for my next computer, so DVR cards are not out of question. But realistically if I was to get something right now (which I need) I'd have to have something externally.

I been looking at things like the eyeTv but I have no real idea at their recording quality. Their site for example always says it's high, but something like their USB model say differently from what I heard. If I record, I want to be able to play it again at full screen and see no loss in picture qaulity. Having something that uses the speed of my firewire ports be very welcomed too, which some eyeTV models do.

So I need your guys opinions here. Would getting a high end model of eyeTV be ok, even with a eMac? Will getting a some like a DVD Recorder be a better idea? Or should I drop both ideas and get a card for a new shinny Powermac G5? :rolleyes: (I can dream)

I have seen and used the EyeTV adapters and they are of a good quality, especially the USB2.0 and Firewire versions (don't bother with any of the USB 1 versions though). Their software is good and easy to use and they give a pretty satisfying picture quality.

Back