Recording my bass on my iMac TFT

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
I was just wondering if anyone has any brilliant suggestions as to how I can best record my bass guitar (and other analogue and digital/MIDI instruments) WITHOUT an external sampler? I'm a student, an unemployed student at that, and I've got lots of Scottish blood... ;)

I know at presant I need:
- An analogue to USB 1.1 converter for my amp (headphone jack).
- A software program to actually take the sound and put it onto my hard disk. (Storm?)

Out of curiosity, do I have to balance the impedence from the headphone jack of my amp to the Analogue/USB interface?

I was considering getting a BOSS GT-6B, and I don't need to balance that output since it's got two, gasp, digital outs (MIDI and Co-ax)! Now, I'd have to save up quite a bit for that one ;)

Thanks!:p

Oh, why does Apple make such a simple thing that complex :mad:
Actually, Macs were much more professional before Steve came back and made all Macs look like toys. Well, Apple designs have beccome better since 1998/1999, but why did they remove a such a vital thing as an analog jack input? And why doesn't Mac OS X have any ways to record sound without a third party application? It's even impossible to play sound from the input through the output on older machines which actually have sound input.
It's simply stupid to base everything on USB. Sound isn't digital, and Apple should accept that.

I know what you mean! Yikes it's annoying.

But the thing is that I really need a multi-track recording application, and most shareware ones I've tried just don't do that.

Amadeus II is good, powerful, but not quite pwoerful enough for me...

BIAS Deck 3.5 seems like a pretty darn powerful app, and I get it for $299 US because I'm a student, which is good because as we established before I am both cheap and poor :) The only thing that really annoys me about them is that their LE trial is a SEA and I have no Classic emvironment installed, and so can not install the trial hah!

Anyone heard good or bad things about BIAS Deck? If I bought it I'd buy the 3.5 Full version not the LE one, unless there's a good reason.

seeing as how many professionals use PowerMac's, i would say for Apple to at least put Audio In ports on the PowerMac and then maybe if the demand is big enough, put them in the iMacs and TiBooks...

and yes, there is digital audio... i have it on my xbox, dvd player, and tv.. it's also on the SoundBlaster Extigy... unless we're talking about different things

ksv,
While it IS true that sound is purely analogue, I seem to remember a few other standard form for digital audio: CD, MP3... ;)

But boy do I ever agree with you! HOW hard would it have been to put in an analogue audio in on the TFT...

Originally posted by Gwailo
ksv,
While it IS true that sound is purely analogue, I seem to remember a few other standard form for digital audio: CD, MP3... ;)

But boy do I ever agree with you! HOW hard would it have been to put in an analogue audio in on the TFT...

Yes, but the outout from the CD or MP3 player is, and will always be analog :)
You can't hear digital audio.
Before the "easy-to-use-revolution", all Macs had analog audio input. Even Powerbooks.

For mulit-track recording you might want to try Pro Tools Free, available from the DigiDesign website. I imagine you can only run it in Classic though.

Are there not any good Firewire audio interfaces out there? USB audio interfaces are much better than they were, but I should imagine latency can still be an issue... though not once more audio software is OS X native.

Originally posted by benpoole
For mulit-track recording you might want to try Pro Tools Free, available from the DigiDesign website. I imagine you can only run it in Classic though.

Are there not any good Firewire audio interfaces out there? USB audio interfaces are much better than they were, but I should imagine latency can still be an issue... though not once more audio software is OS X native.

I'd rather get a PCI card :)

Originally posted by benpoole

thanks for the suggestion. There are a few good external IEEE 1394 compliant devices (like Sound Blaster's) with light pipes and SP/DIF connectors and stuff, but it's a little pricey :)

And ksv is right, if you really want to go pro you gotta get a tower and install PCI cards and SCSI HDDs to remove the latency (so I'm told).

Back