Reviving a dead iPod

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
So the other day when I connected my iPod to my iMac, the thing stalled on the Apple logo screen and wouldn't get any farther. After that, even when I reset the iPod, it would either give a low battery signal, or it would simply stall at the Apple logo. I figured it might be a battery problem because that symbol would always pop up when I disconnected the iPod and reset it, but I bought a new battery online, installed it, and the same thing happened.

I took it to the Apple Store in Palo Alto, but since it's out of warrantee, they basically did nothing beyond the exact same things I did (connected it to a Mac, tried to reset it), and simply told me that I would have to replace it. I don't want to pay another $300 for an iPod, but I also don't want to lose the use of one if I have to.

The other thing I fear is that after today is that I had an experience with it and I think I might've caused more damage. It flashed the iPod interface menus for half a second and then returned to the Apple logo. After I reset it and connected it to my iMac, it acted like it was doing a firmware update and displayed the little black progress bar, but it didn't finish and I had to reset it in the middle.

After the reset, I got the dead battery icon to appear once, and now nothing appears, even if I hold down the play/pause and menu buttons down for 15 seconds.

Does anybody know what would cause an iPod to do this, and how I could possibly fix it? Could it be the FireWire port on my iPod that's bad, and would it be easy to correct (I've changed the cable and I've also connected it to other Macs)? Are there any third party iPod repair places? And if my iPod IS shot, is there a way I can simply use the hard drive if it's still good?

Oh, sorry about that. I should've said that I have a first-gen 5 GB iPod.

dlloyd said:
So you don't have a power adaptor for it?
Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651

No I have a power adaptor, I just connect it to the computer to charge it. But connecting it to the power adaptor doesn't really help at all, anyway.

I think my iPod's completely dead now -- I can't get anything to appear on the screen, and I think it's probably because I reset it after it got stuck on what appeared to be a firmware update (where it displayed the progress bar on the Apple logo screen). I can't even get it to display the low battery icon.

Anybody know how to salvage the hard drive and put it into a usable enclosure? 5 GB of space would definitely be useful.

You could try charging it for 24 hours straight and then seeing if you could reformat the Pod.

ipodlounge has an article on disassembling a mini and recovering the hard drive. I'm sure the mechanics would be similar to a regular Pod. Plus, have you browsed that site? If there's any info on reviving your 5, it would likely be there.

Back