Safari contextual Menu

From MacFixIt;

Safari "localized strings not found" problem; fix
For some users, after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3.4, contextual menus in Safari do not show the usual menu items, instead showing the text "localized strings not found." This error sometimes appears when an application is being used on a non-English version of Mac OS X but the application is missing localization files for the language being used. However, these reports involve the use of Safari on a standard US English version of Mac OS X.

Some reports indicate that the problem is not limited to contextual menus Vic Wertz writes:

"One of my users had a similar problem starting with 10.3.3: certain website *buttons* actually showed the "localized string not found" text; applying the 10.3.4 combo update fixed this issue for him."

In addition, readers also report that this error has also occurred in earlier versions of Mac OS X. Reader "nero007" writes:

The "localized string not found" error has apparently been around longer than 10.3.4 (if you check out Apple Support Discussions). However I hadn't experienced the error until updating to 10.3.4 on my Powerbook. I tried multiple solutions to try and resolve the error and the finally what fixed it was re-installing 10.3.3 (install and archive) and then re-upgrading to 10.3.4 using the combo updater."

Some users were able to remove the problem by re-installing the Mac OS X 10.3.4 combo updater, but others were not.

MacFixIt reader Jared has since submitted a solution that has worked on several of his systems, as well as for other readers:
1. Download the latest version of Safari from Apple (this is essential to do before anything else)
2. Locate the webkit files and stick them in the trash: System/Library/Frameworks/webkit.frameworks (these are used to connect to the web - if you fail to follow step 1, you will kick yourself as you will not be able to connect using ftp, http etc etc)
3. Install Safari from your fresh download
4. Restart
5. Run permissions repair in Disk Utility
6. Rejoice as your contextual menus reappear in Safari

1. Download the latest version of Safari from Apple (this is essential to do before anything else)
2. Locate the webkit files and stick them in the trash: System/Library/Frameworks/webkit.frameworks (these are used to connect to the web - if you fail to follow step 1, you will kick yourself as you will not be able to connect using ftp, http etc etc)
3. Install Safari from your fresh download
4. Restart
5. Run permissions repair in Disk Utility
6. Rejoice as your contextual menus reappear in Safari

Worked - thank you very much !!

Acidtuch10

Back