samba: mounting my XP disc on my mac and visa versa

iknownotwhoiam

Registered
how do i go about using samba? i want to be able to mount my windows XP pro disc on my ibook and i would like to be able to mount my OS X volume on my xp computer as well. how can i do this? i am using 10.1.3.
thanks.
axel.

I was finally able to mount an XP share on my Mac but still can't mount a samba-share from my Mac on the XP box. Hope you have better luck.

-Rob

I believe the SMB protocol in OS X is one-way, meaning you can mount an SMB share, but when you share an OS X disk, it's not being shared via SMB nor can it be mounted via SMB from a Windows PC. In other words, you can mount SMB shares in OS X, but you can't mount OS X disks via SMB from a Windows machine.

I think that's right -- anyone heard differently?

Windows XP has done something slightly different with sharing that has caused difficulties connecting to Samba shares in certain cases. I do not know which but do a search for the Samba packages on verstiontracker and see that talkback forums.

I do know that when I boot into Windows98 my MacOS samba shares connect flawlessly. I can also connect via SMB from my iMac to the G4. I cannot connect to either Macs from WindowsXP however.

If anyone has more useful information on this issue, speak up! :)

It figures MS would have to do something to break everyone else's software that tried to work with theirs.

-Rob

Actually, Apple introduce a bug with its 10.1.3 update. Apple's smb client won't mount shares on computers with windows xp pro. Also, Windows XP won't mount OSX shares through the Samba server. Unfornately, at the moment, the only fix is erase Mac OSX and redo the installation without upgrading to 10.1.3. I have a PC with WinXP pro and a Powerbook with OSX
and they connect fine through 10.1.0 but not 10.1.3

Go to:
http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml

At the bottom of this page under "known problems" is more information on this subject.

Actually, Apple introduce a bug with its 10.1.3 update. Apple's smb client won't mount shares on computers with windows xp pro. Also, Windows XP won't mount OSX shares through the Samba server. Unfornately, at the moment, the only fix is erase Mac OSX and redo the installation without upgrading to 10.1.3. I have a PC with WinXP pro and a Powerbook with OSX
and they connect fine through 10.1.0 but not 10.1.3

Go to:
http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml

At the bottom of this page under "known problems" is more information on this subject.

I'm trying to access my PC (which is sharing the same cable internet connection with my Titanium via a Linksys router), via Connect to Server. On the PC I' m using the computer name assigned by AT&T and gave the PC a workgroup name. Question: How do I find the sharename?

In windowsXP you have to enable sharing for whatever folder you want to share. When you do that, you have to assign it a name.

So if you want access to entire c drive, right click on the drive, goto sharing, enable it, and finally, name it. then when you use connect to server on your mac you would enter something like..

smb://yourpc/cdrive and poof, it should mount.

hope this helps

Originally posted by ghyde
I'm trying to access my PC (which is sharing the same cable internet connection with my Titanium via a Linksys router), via Connect to Server. On the PC I' m using the computer name assigned by AT&T and gave the PC a workgroup name. Question: How do I find the sharename?

Find your way to the folder you're sharing from the PC, right click, and choose "sharing and security" or whatever the sharing option is based on your version of Windoze. There should a little box somewhere telling you what the share name is. Presto!

I am using OSX 10.1.4 and windows 2k. Samba seems to be working perfectly going both directions [I can mount my windows shares and windows can mount a samba share]. It took me a few crash tests to get everything working [I am using the GUI tool available from versiontracker].

One note though, OSX is VERY picky about how you enter the path for the share. You have to enter the full path and as of right now, OSX only has one generic error message no matter what the problem is.

Well, at least now I'm not getting the generic error message when trying to connect to my PC via Connect to Server, however, what I -am- getting is a kernel panic. Here's what I'm entering as the path:

smb://<workgroup>;\\<computer name>\<share>

I have two backward slashes before the computer name, and one before the share because that's how the path is listed in the Windows Network Neighborhood.

Any ideas?

BTW, I have Sharity. How would I go about entering the above configurations into sharity?

The path I've entered in my above post keeps getting mangled after being submitted. I'll put it again in this post and hope it comes out correct:

smb://<workgroup>;\\<computer name>\<share>

Once again, it's mangled, even though is showed correctly in Preview.

Nah, I think what you want to do is something like this.

My Windows computer name (configured in My Network Places, or whatever they're called it), is Frink. The name of my shared folder is PC.

Therefore, from the Mac, I type Command-K, and enter this:

smb://frink/pc

That's it. Then I just enter the username and password (don't even need to do the workgroup, apparently) for authentication, and voila! I'm in.

good luck.

I tried your smb://frink/pc method (using my PC's name, of course) and got the generic no service error. I have been able to ping both ways between PC and Mac.

Note:

The name of my PC is the name given it my AT&T (a requirment they have). Could that be the problem? Can I change that name without mucking my connection?

Wow, you've already exceeded my admittedly feeble networking knowledge. Sorry I can't be more help. . . . :(

what homer said is correct

smb://computer/share

for computer you can use either IP or name
It will then prompt you for workgroup login and password though I don't think you need the workgroup

Using the built in samba client is a bit tricky, at least i think so. There is a much better third party option that is actually freeware. You can download it from version tracker the name is SMB Browse (not Browser).

I highly recommend it. It will find any computers on any workgroup...at least from my experience. If the username and password are set up for guest access just use spaces in those fields. Also if you want to set up your mac to share files with the PC you can download and install the Samba X package from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xamba/

The setup is done via a webbrowser. Look in the docs or ask here for more advice.

Goodluck.

The name of my PC is the name given it by AT&T (a requirment they have). Could that be the problem? Can I change that name without mucking my connection?

Back