Sharing external HD with PCs over SMB?

kon21

Registered
How does one access an external volume on OS X from a PC via SMB?
On the PC, if I use SMB (Start / Run then \\IP\share) only my home folder is shared. How do I add an external hard drive to be avaliable as a share?
I don't see any sharing options I can use to make the HD avaliable.
The only workaround I found is to create a soft link inside my home directory that points to the external HD.
I'm looking for a easier way to do this.

TIA

The reason is, that only such folders, where your useraccount has full rights will be shared. And this is by default your home folder. Compare the ownerships of your home folder to those of your external volume and adjust them. That should work.

Ok, haven't used Sharepoints myself but it looks like a good idea. Might be a bit easier or quicker than the method we used. I remember seeing it brought up before (here and elsewhere), but there was a specific reason I didn't bother with it...just can't remember what that was.

We're using 10.1.5 for our server with no issues right now. The beige box is the server and the HD is partitioned a couple of times. One partition is the 'shared drive' while another is the 'web server file drive'. It handles requests from a few Win2kPro machines, a WinXPPro laptop, and OSX Panther Laptop. We also have the Win Desktops user folders (My Documents, etc.) mapped to the shared drive.

I wound up installing Samba 2.2, then modified the config files manually and with SWAT. To fix the permissions issues, there's an entry to the CRONtab that updates all files on that partition every minute.

Back