Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Skype by Skype uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you to other users to talk and chat. You can even access the regular phone line at a very decent price. Thank skype I was able to convince my fiancee to marry me and still have some money left (she is living in Croatia and calling her over the regular phone would cost a lot) to buy her nice rings. ;)

Hey Zammy-Sam - congratulations on your engagement! I hope you'll both be very happy together... Certainly she'll appreciate "nice rings"!!!

I have to agree - Skype is excellent! I use it regularly with friends who don't have iChat... Highly recommended...

I just recently started using skype, and have given my username for only 2 people so far. :D I see it again as somehting I'll want to get my parents to (getting them first a Mac, then showing how iChat and skype work.. "look, no more international call charges". Plus I see it being for all platforms definitely a good thing, so no matter if the friends are using Linux or Windows etc, still works. And using port 443 for traffic makes it nice as well, for those with regulated port traffics...

I think Skype is an excellent concept - *but*, can anyone confirm or deny that it also loads spyware onto your computer if you're using the Windows version? I've heard those accusations (though haven't tried it on my PC to find out first-hand). If so, that really puts a damper on my willingness to recommend this app, even if the Mac version is fine.

It's supposedly spyware-free, per the creator's promise. I'm pretty sure it's clean, seeing as I installed it on a friend's PC which has 5 different spyware/adware blockers on it, and 3 virus blockers...should be relatively safe.

-Gabe

Skype is awesome, i use it basically nearly every day and occasionaly ring up random people in england, india, china and anywhere and terrorise them... Jokes lol

I dont think loading it onto windows adds spyware because my friends all have pc's and they havent said anything about it so far. However its the best program for audio chatting, even though i havent used ichat for audio conversations.

Skype, #1 in my book. I use it every single day. I even make most of my daytime phone calls with it. At 2 cents per minute for all calls in the US, you really can't beat it unless you have free nights and weeksends plan on something.

kingtj said:
I think Skype is an excellent concept - *but*, can anyone confirm or deny that it also loads spyware onto your computer if you're using the Windows version? I've heard those accusations (though haven't tried it on my PC to find out first-hand). If so, that really puts a damper on my willingness to recommend this app, even if the Mac version is fine.

At the office (80 persons, we work worldwide) we all use Skype on PCs operating W-XP and several Linux flavors to reduce communication costs. No spyware attack detected.

Now that is awesome! It reminds me what my friend did with Yahoo. ONly this will work with full features on my Mac! I like.

Back