smb and Samba

WhateverJoe

echo $row['what_tha'];
I have had a lot of hands on recently with mounting Windows shares and CIFS shares from a Linux system running Samba.

What I have ran into and observed, is that OS X's samba is / must be, so finely tuned for specificly Windows Shares.

Shares from a Linux/Smb box mounts fine, appear to work fine.. but moving anything even as small as a 2 meg file to or from that share takes three and a half weeks to complete.... the same to or from a Windows mounted share and the transfer speeds are normal...

And at times, the mount from the linux/smb box (when trying to copy a file larger than 300k) just beachballs and four weeks later dis-mounts quicker than a 1st Cav Trooper back in the 1870's who just road up to a Cat House on a Friday Afternoon.....

It kinda sucks that this has been observered among many of the OS X clients at work.. because the majority of shares out there are from a Linux system running a samba server....

Has anyone ran into some sort of optimization or something for X to Linux-SMB share ?

I havent heard anything about this. All of may shares via samba have been flawless connecting to windows and linux. It sounds to me like an issue with the linux box, are any other systems having trouble copying files? If not it must be something on the OS X side but I cant even begin to tell you what. I did find the most usefull tool though. it is called SMB Browser, i found it at versiontracker try it out!

Well... It's the same effect for 4 different OS X systems... however the same mounts for all the other windows systems works fine.... It still could be the smb configuration on the linux box... I'm not sure.... I've looked and looked but havn't found anything that sticks out yet...

All I know is it's a pain ..

Back