software to control desktop of others

moav

Hunter of Muffins
I'm trying to find out what software is out there that will let me take control of my friends mac... he isn't quite sure how to do some things and would like to be able to move his cursor around and show him where to go... where 2500 miles apart so, i just can't walk across the street.

Okay, there are, as far as I know, two ways to do this:
1) Have your friend download the VNC server hosted on VersionTracker and install it. This will allow you to control your friend's mac from a Web Browser for free, albeit, very slowly and with some amount of setup.
2) Buy Apple's Remote Desktop. This works much faster because, unlike VNC, you are not sending and receiving 'Screen Shots', you are being sent information which the Server on your Mac is rendering.

$299 jeez... though I wish Microsoft would die there remote desktop for mac is great... even better than our mac citrix client we run... though that is free as well. $299hmm. I might for $99 but not $299. Oh, well I guess I'll just have to run up my phone bill and try to guide him through the paces. I don't think the VNC would work well since he has a 28k connection.. and my cable connection is pretty pathetic.

just a thought about Apple Remote Desktop -- it's great software to use locally within a network, but over the internet it's not really good -- why don't you download the trial version of Timbuktu Pro and test that --

If you can do what you need from Terminal - such as configuring sendmail etc - Terminal with a ssh is enough. Just enable ssh from system preferences (network or internet) and make him give you his pw. And talk to him/her in an IM on the same time explaining what to do.

Back