Sony Puppy Fingerprint ID

WeeZer51402

Registered
Wow this thing looks cool, though I would have no use for it. I may just buy one though, maybe it will increase my geek factor :cool: Has anybody tried one of these before and could anybody speculate to what the difference is between the OS X and the windows version. Just software maybe?

Most likely, yes. It looks like it doesn't support 10.3's fast user switching though. In fact, its hard to say if it supports 10.3 at all.

Waste of money. You could just use Disk Utility to create an encrypted disk and transfer it to the USB drive.

Randman - I wasn't necessarily talking about its cost effectiveness...just its geek factor. Plus I'm not sure if you were looking at the right one. I was referring to this not the thumb drive thing. Speaking of encryption does anybody know of anything really good. Like 256bit or above for encrypting files?

Ah, my bad. I thought the thumb drive.
Still, you can use File Vault and encrypted disks for a very high degree of security if needed. And it's free.

WeeZer51402 said:
Wow this thing looks cool, though I would have no use for it. I may just buy one though, maybe it will increase my geek factor :cool: Has anybody tried one of these before and could anybody speculate to what the difference is between the OS X and the windows version. Just software maybe?

I have a Samsung X10 laptop with Fingerprint ID pad built in. Thought it was great unil one of my friends used his finger to access my whole system!

After 5 tries...Mmmmm you can imagine how happy i was.

:mad:

hmmm....how did that happen? they must not be very reliable in that case. does anybody know how these things work. Do they authenticate fingerprints against a password and then authenticate the password to the system?

Symphonix - I got this from apples website.
[font=helvetica, geneva, arial]System Requirements:
  • Mac OS X v10.2.x or v10.3.x operating systems
  • iBook, PowerBook, iMac, or Power Mac capable of running Mac OS X
  • 5MB of available hard drive space
  • 128MB RAM
  • Available USB port
So I guess that answers my own question.
[/font]

Back