Streaming audio options

monktus

Registered
Most of the sites I build are for bands and I'd like to find the best way of streaming audio without external apps. For example, I'd like to have a link or button on the front page of a site to stream a song (either a single one or preferably to choose one) that will be self contained.

I know Flash is the obvious choice for this but the one core skill I don't really have is Flash. I could do it in Director no problem but I'd rather not require shockwave. I've looked at various Java options but I couildn't find anything that worked well enough. Has anyone had any experience of this, what would you recommend?

Cheers,
Craig

Media Frame ( http://mediaframe.org/)
MediaFrame™ is an Open Source streaming media platform in Java™ which provides a fast, easy to implement and extremely small applet that enables over 97% (AdShadow 2002-03) of web users to view your audio/video content without having to rely on external player applications or bulky plug-ins. MediaFrame™ does not require special servers, software or programming knowledge.

Thanks dude. Unofrtunately MediaFrame only seems to support video files but I'm going to have a go at creating a small mpeg/mpeg4 video and see how effective it is.

I have to agree with andehlu. Flash is the one that you want if you are embedding streaming audio into your web pages. You could use real player for an external application, but as that is something you want to avoid, Flash is your best option. It really isn't too difficult to learn how to stream with Flash.

Ian

Back