Stuck on start-up

fongster

Registered
Hi all, recently my G4 733 gets stuck just as it's about to finish start-up (the HD shows up on the desktop but launcher's window won't at the stuck point). Everything was fine until I downloaded a new driver for my Epson 1250 scanner and an update for MS Word 2000. Just before the MS download, Word stopped allowing the pulldown menus to function. I remember that prob being the Word 9 Preferences, which I trashed (fixed that prob). My mac will complete a successful start up on the second try. Do you think it's something in the downloads like a conflicting extension? Or is it a PRAM issue or something else that (I'm not really knowledgeable about PRAM, etc.)? Thanks!

I am assuming your are using OS 9.x or earlier. First, go to the system folder>Preferences and trash the following files:
Finder Preferences
Mac OS Preferences

Next, restart the computer and immediately hold down the option and the apple key. Continue to hold down these keys until you get a dialog box asking if you wish to do a desktop rebuild. This will come up after the extensions load at the bottom of the screen. Release the keys and click on the okay button.
Now empty the trash.

Yep, which sometimes happens.

You should do a desktop rebuild every few months. That will make sure the invisible files are updated.

Back