suddenly I can't browse the Internet no matter what I do!

ChromePlanet

Registered
I have one of the last PowerBook G4s... with a dual layer DVD burner. It's been running fine. Yesterday I did something that may have screwed up the machine to the point where it can't browse the Internet no matter what I do.

I was trying to fix a problem of the mac not waking from sleep when I have a Firewire-800 drive attached via a PC Card. I followed a tip in the 01.2005 issue of MacAddict magazine, page 17, which said to boot into Open Firmware and type:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

I did that as well as deleted apple.powermanagement.plist in Library/Preferences/System Configuration.

Not sure if that fixed my sleep problem as I haven't been able to test it yet. But I lost the ability to browse websites in Safari. I've done all the usual troubleshooting, including connecting directly to my cable modem. I can connect fine with another Mac as well as with a PC. I tried 2 different routers. The PowerBook gets its IP address, but still can't browse the web. I can't seem to be able to ping outside IP addresses. But for some reason, WeatherDock works when I boot up, giving me a weather update in my menu bar.

Network Diagnostics shows a red globe for Internet.

I have repaired disk permissions. I have reset the PRAM. I have rerun the Open Firmware reset procedure.

I recently upgraded to 10.4.4, before I did the Open Firmware thing, but could swear the Internet was working after that.

I'm afraid if I go to the trouble of reinstalling Tiger, it still won't work because something might be corrupt in the PRAM for the Ethernet controller.

Any ideas?

Back