System Error -15

cabbage

Registered
I keep getting different applications crashing with error -15! I can't figure what is doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have installed an image using Retrospect on a few different Macs and they all get the error -15 so I know it's not the hardware.

First, we need to know what OS version.
Second, what image did you install? Is it a very large one? Is it your desktop picture? Where did you install it?
Third, what are you doing when the application crashes with that error?
Do you have virtual memory turned on in the Memory Control panel?

First> 9.2.2
Second> My companies default image that I created using Retrospect

Third>Nothing, It's open. I sit and watch it. After a certain amount of time it crashes with error -15

Fourth>VM is off, Cache is as low as possible...doesn't matter

I did a Clean Install from the 9.2.2 CD and then used some program called Clean Installer I think that puts back all my 3rd party extensions and control panels.

Did you do the clean install just before this error came up? What did you upgrade from?
It could be that you have an extension conflict. Something was moved over that should not have been. Or you moved over an extension or control panel that does not work well with OS 9. Did you check for updates on all your programs before upgrading?

Virtual memory should be on. Yes on. And the disk cach should be set at 32 times the physical amount of memory installed. That is: if you have 512 Mb installed, then the disk cache should be 16,384 k.

What you can do is run Apple System Profiler. Go to the file menu and select create a report. A new screen will come up. Click on all the boxes, then click on the okay button. When the report is done, save it to your desktop, then send it to me as an attachment to:
cheryl@macosx.com

I'll check it over for you and see if I can find the problem.

Have you contacted retrospect? Maybe their tech support can point you in the right direction, But same image with problems on various systems: My first thought is the image needs to be re-created, a file may be corrupted. Why not try VM on, use the defaults for memory, maybe that will help. Apple generally recommends VM on, anyway.

I did a Clean Install from the 9.2.2 CD and then used some program called Clean Installer I think that puts back all my 3rd party extensions and control panels.

I think I forgot to add the above that it works now and I'm not getting the error 15.

I had VM on at the beginning. The only think I found to fix the error -15 was to turn it off. That's why I did that. It doesn't matter either way. I would have loved to send you a Apple System Profiler report but its kind of hard when it keeps crashing with an error 15.

I didn't try contacting Dantz, Retrospect is fine. It's not like its the first time i've imaged with Retrospect I do it all the time.

I also tried turning off all the extensions/control panels except the very basic ones (the few that show up on the Norton SystemWorks CD I kept on) I still got the error -15.

It had to be something corrupt in the System Folder, but Norton, TechTool, DiskWarrior, and Disk First Aid found nothing wrong with it.

All is well now.

The clean install fixed what ever it was that got corrupt. It's a shame we don't know exactly what. Could have been the finder.

glad you past those errors. :)

Originally posted by Cheryl
And the disk cach should be set at 32 times the physical amount of memory installed. That is: if you have 512 Mb installed, then the disk cache should be 16,384 k.

Kinda funny how the disk cache only goes up to 8160K...

The clean install didn't fix a second MAC...I had to put the old system folder back. I .img (Disk Copy) the corrupt System Folder and did the System Profiler Report. I'll send you the report

Back