SystemSounds...

cybergoober

Neomaxizoomdweebie
Nothing major. No problems. Must be too bored.
I just happened to be poking around /System yesterday and found:

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/finder/empty trash.aif and move to trash.aif

I played these sounds and it occurred to me that I had never heard either of these sounds before, nor had I ever heard mention of them.

I wonder why Apple chose not to implement these sounds? I think they sound pretty damn cool.
FWIW- The sound I get for "move to trash" is the same as:

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/dock/drag to trash.aif

I checked on multiple machines running versions of X ranging from 10.2.3 to 10.3 "Panther".

I may start playing around to see if I can get the system to use these sounds. Any feedback from others is appreciated.

Those system sounds are implemented, but they're not on by default, you just need to turn them on. If you go to Sound pref pane and select 'Play user interface sound effects', you'll be able to hear those sounds from the finder when you perform those actions. Test by dragging something to the trash, and you should hear it happen! Sounds inJaguar are a little limited (compared to OS 9) perhaps these are expanded in Panther (anyone know?)

Originally posted by DeltaMac
If you go to Sound pref pane and select 'Play user interface sound effects', you'll be able to hear those sounds from the finder when you perform those actions. Test by dragging something to the trash, and you should hear it happen!

I have that box checked.

Originally posted by cybergoober
FWIW- The sound I get for "move to trash" is the same as:

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/dock/drag to trash.aif

Meaning that if I drag to the trash I get the little click sound. If I hit Command + Delete I get the little click sound. If I right-click on a file and choose Move to Trash I get the little click sound. Listen to the "move to trash.aif" referenced above. Kinda has a three-dimensional effect to it.

I get NO sound for empty trash. No matter how much is in there. Also doesn't matter how I do it (right-click on Dock Trash icon and select Empty Trash, Finder Menu -> Empty Trash, Shift + Command + Delete, Shift + Command + Option + Delete).

Sounds inJaguar are a little limited (compared to OS 9) perhaps these are expanded in Panther (anyone know?)

Originally posted by cybergoober
I checked on multiple machines running versions of X ranging from 10.2.3 to 10.3 "Panther".

Are there more sound files in Panther?

Anyway, use is a little limited, maybe when Panther is actually in final version, there will be some difference.

If you play with Universal Access prefs, there may be more sounds that actually sound. I haven't taken much time here, but I noticed that there are a couple of sound-type options there.

My system also does not register the 'empty trash' sound, and of course, the trash is in the dock, so the sound to place an item in the trash will be a Dock sound.

maybe experiment with other Aiff sounds, rename them as the supposedly unheard actions, maybe the files are just inop as far as the sound action response.

Are there more sound files in Panther?

Not that I could find.

My system also does not register the 'empty trash' sound, and of course, the trash is in the dock, so the sound to place an item in the trash will be a Dock sound.

maybe experiment with other Aiff sounds, rename them as the supposedly unheard actions, maybe the files are just inop as far as the sound action response.

That was actually my next step. I replaced the "move to trash.aif" from the finder folder with "drag to trash.aif" in the dock folder (renamed it of course). Quit the Dock. Same sound. Logged out. Same sound. Hmmm... Restarted. A-ha! That did the trick. Still can't get the empty trash sound to be enabled though.

Time to start mucking with .plist files I guess. ;)

Yes these are different sounds...

the sound here:
/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/finder/move to trash.aif (and empty trash.aif)

Is NOT the default sound that the trash makes when it is emptied.

That sound is here:

So the question still remains, how do we turn on these other sounds? Obviously knowing the location, you should be able to swap out the file with another .aif sound file with the same name.

I think it's just not enabled completely, (sound file is there, system doesn't know what to do with it yet) Wait for Panther.

Back