The Bottom Dropped Out!!

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
I can only remember dosing two things since the below issues last worked: Fit file permissions, and attempt to switch to another broadband service (with disconnected Every time as soon as I ended a call to techsuppot). Still, when I first reverted back to my old connection, at least both machines were getting on the 'net. The printing issue may be the result of upgrading to 10.2. Anyway, this is how my weekend has been, starting Late Saturday morning. And Yes, I've looked everywhere for answers (Here, other boards, vendor tech support) and I've received Very Few replies. I shudder to think that what I'm experiencing is beyond the scope of the helpful experts encountered here, and elsewhere on the web.

1) It seems more times than not, when I go to the Sharing --> Internet Sharing in System Preferences, Internet Sharing has reverted to OFF. Sometimes, even, the services I had selected to be shared are no longer marked as being shared.

Kind'a feels like a MS Windows thing.

2) All attempts to turn in to a webcast are resulting in (You may be having network problems) messages, despite the fact that I Am about to surf the web, although at a brisk limp. This problem exist with BOTH Real Player and Quicktime.

3) DVD player will no longer play movies (on my screen, or a screen connected via an s-viedo cable. I Did, however, work the week before, on this screen, without a hitch. Last week we watched a DVD on the Titanium with no problems. Today, with the Ti connected to the TV via an S-video cable, it was utter Disaster! As Soon as the DVD is inserted (With video mirroring off), I get the message:

DVD Player Encountered a Serious Error
The current machine or system is not supported (-70013).

Console reports the following error:

DVDDriverOpenDevice: We have failed to lock the surface, shutting down.

I get the Same error when I try playing the DVD on the Mac Only (No S-video). This Really scares me!!

We rented two DVD's, due back Sunday, and all they're good for now is coasters.

The Only thing I can think of that I did to the DVD player between then and now is select a zone (whatever that means). Can you imagine all the new mac users out there being required to deal with zones?

The screen shows up fine on the TV, however.

4) I can no longer mount my iDisk due to authentication failure. I double-checked (I still have time, and I'm using the correct Username/pswd.

5) I can no longer connect to my PC via Connect To, which had cooperated without a hitch last week. The volume directory states that the PC volumes are indeed mounted, even when the PC is off. All attempts to fix that issue via a terminal commnad (sudo rm /sbin/mount_cifs)
that worked like a charm last week now result in No Such Command messages.

6) I can Not establish a Citrix connection to the Server on my PC

7) I can Not establish a VNC connection between PC and Mac, no matter how I adjust the firewall.

8) I can ping my PC, but the PC is showing things like DNSERRORs when I try to surf. Entering IP addresses in the address bar changes nothing.

9) I can no longer print to my lexmark Z23. Even after un-installing and re-installing the more recent driver from the Lexmark page, I am told No printers are have been added. Despite clicking on the already-present z23 listing, I get error number 1282, saying there was an error and the printer can not be added.

I ran Drive X yesterday from it's own boot disk. It took Five passes before is stopped identifying problems with the volume. None of the above issues have changed.

PS

Apple Knowledge Base continues to be nothing more (in most part) a bunch of common sense articles with Little (if any) focus on trouble-shooting. Heck, most of the error codes I experienced this weekend are not even listed. The local Mac Help is even more wimpy (when it's not crashing.

I'm reaching out to all of you: Please, help me restore Some order and complacency in my life.

Are you using a home made Ethernet cable? If you are then it might not be wired properly or one of the wires might have come loose from the RJ-45 connectors.

If OS X is saying that you have network problems then it's either a corruption in the system or a bad network. It could also be your built in network card is on the fritz.

This doesn't explain the problems with DVDs but if you were changing the regions around you might have created that problem yourself. OS 9 only let you change the region 5 times and after that you were stuck in the 5th region you selected.

If you did that then you might be stuck in that region now. I'm not sure if OS X limits you to changing regions 5 times or not. There is a program for OS 9 that will crack that region limit, but I don't recall the name of it.

Back