The Incredible Machine

fryke

Staff member
Mod
In reference to a very, very old game (but only loosely connected, so just forget about it if you don't know the game, anyway...), here's a question: "What would be your favourite Macintosh of all time, if it had live hardware upgrades (processor, RAM, harddrive, optical drives...)?"

Here's mine, just to further explain the question...

PowerBook 180. (Was the high-end PowerBook circa 1993.) Imagine that baby with a 867 MHz G4 or 900 MHz G3 processor. Imagine it had a slot-in DVD/CD-RW Combo drive. The 8-bit greyscale active-matrix screen would still rock for me. Best screen on a notebook I've ever seen. Maybe with a higher resolution, but for my writer-needs, it'd still be enough at 640*400, I guess. ;-)

Clamshell iBook, it looks like no other laptop (it has been said that it resembles a toilet seat though).

The screen was brilliant, lovely keyboard and it had a handle.

Now if it had a higher ram ceiling (say a 512Mb), 2x USB ports and it could support an external monitor (1024x768 would be enough) I would still be carrying around my Apple handbag today.

The Incredible Machine...
I used to waste away my lunch breaks with the PC version, was it available for the Mac?

I would have to say the PowerBook 2400c.. That was the last of the sortof-sub-notebook machines that Apple did. It didn't have an internal optical drive, and was probably too small to fit one even today (a slot-loader might, but I doubt it) but who cares? In today's terms, it would have FireWire, USB, internal AirPort (it would probably have to loose the PCCard slots though) and an updated screen (at least 1024x768), with a G4/867 (like the 12" PB), 1GB of memory, and a 40GB harddrive. Heck, they could probably make it just a little slimmer while they're at it. But it would still only weigh 4.7 pounds...

Isn't what you describe, Kenny, more or less the PB 12"? In fact, quite exactly? Okay, the RAM... But now that there are 1 GB DDRAM DIMMs for those...

in my cloest is an old mac from 91 or 93.. i love that thing.
and the incredible machine was a very addicting game, i wish i had it now....

I am kinda "new" to apple's 'n' all! I've always loved the Clamshell iBook design, like some1 said, it looks so "different" to all the other Laptops on the Market. What are the limitations with them, Spec Wise? ... I am farely confident the top spec would be 466Mhz G3, CPU Wise, but besides that, i have no idea ... in terms of RAM, HDD, etc etc ... i wouldn't mind getting one, kinda cheap, jus for notes and stuff really... i don't "Need" a laptop, so paying TONNES for one is crazy in my eyes ( i could instead upgrade my G4 in my Cube or something ) ...

Speaking of Which, the Cube ... yup, altho its been nothing short of a Lil' B*****D Since i gotit, about 3 months ago, i still love it, a few times i've had to strip the thing bare, and it takes some doing to get it all back together, but in a sense, it makes it all the more satisfying, when it powers up! (or is that my own SHOCK?! :p)

Yea, the Cube would be close there too ... and i love the Original iMac too ... I'd love one of those "on the cheap" too!

Strangely, its more of the OLDER Stuff that Appeals to me:

All 3 i named, i think were available through the Year 2000, and pretty much (inc iMac) are Rare Species now :p

Edit ... Also, i used to have a G3 500 (66Mhz Sys Bus) iBook, would the speeds of the two be VERY much the same? Now i have a Desktop, much more powerful, the speed in the laptop wouldn't be "required", but it would run "X" as apposed to "OS 9" ... I think i read it can take 1x 512Mb ... maxing @ 576Mb?... but on eBay, a seller quotes 320 as being the Max?

*confused*

You can up an original iBook to 320 MB of RAM and put Mac OS X on it. Even Jaguar. Don't expect very good performance, though, and the 800*600 would probably drive you crazy for some things, but if it's for writing in TextEdit, it's a great baby and lasts a while. However: It's not that light an iBook...

Originally posted by fryke
Isn't what you describe, Kenny, more or less the PB 12"? In fact, quite exactly? Okay, the RAM... But now that there are 1 GB DDRAM DIMMs for those...

heh.. I guess it is. Although, i got the spec wrong. The 2400c was 4.4 pounds according to Apple. But the rest of it... you're right. That' probably why I found the 12" book so appealing.

Ok, let me try again... The 20th Anniversary Macintosh. Oh wait. That would be the iMac, wouldn't it? :D

Macintosh SE, that is the little machine that could. When I got that machine, I wouldn't leave. Great little Mac, still have it, and yah, still use it occasionally.

Reminds me that I once wanted to install a 6 GB harddrive in my Colour Classic. However, I dunno if I can still find the system disks. ;-)

And I'd have to make a backup of some kind...

Originally posted by fryke

Huh? Does that mean that PB 12" has a higher ram ceiling than 640MB?

Oh, and on topic with this post -- the Mac SE is it. I still have mine. Still works as well as the day (uh, decade, rather) I bought it. Wonder if I could add that to my network?

Fryke .... Are u sure 320Mb? Some places do actually quote you can add a 512Mb to the base 64mb ... i would be quite interesting in a Clamshell iBook if i could go past 320mb, and get 1024*768 Res! You're right, 800*600 would drive me crazy ... well, 1024*768 does now ... but i could deal with that "at a push"

Are there any other things to take note of, with these iBooks? You mention weight, are we looking @ a LOT more than the current iCeBooks?
NeYo

Not to steal into this tread to much, but does anyone know if there is a version of "The Incredible Machine" for mac OS X? IF not someone should make it.

Now as for my computer. Since this is my first mac I am rather in live with the new iMacs. I would like that to be my incredible machine. And just keep getting better and better.

Matthew

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Fryke .... Are u sure 320Mb? Some places do actually quote you can add a 512Mb to the base 64mb ... i would be quite interesting in a Clamshell iBook if i could go past 320mb, and get 1024*768 Res! You're right, 800*600 would drive me crazy ... well, 1024*768 does now ... but i could deal with that "at a push"

NeYo
I saw something on lowendmac a while back saying you could get 512MB chips for the clamshell iBooks.

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/02/10/22/index.html

An updated 20th Anniversary Mac.

I like the Cube on principle, but they would be coolest on a bare, nearly empty desk, maybe with a glass tabletop. I am an inveterate clutterer - a Cube would be wasted on me, it would just get buried in my papers...

Back