The PC-Mini?

It happens with almost every Apple product. I feel it happens to much and think someday Apple will step up and challenge things like this.

What's interesting is that this is nothing new. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a nano-ITX motherboard in there made entirely by Intel. There have been nano-ITX motherboards available from VIA and others for some time now (check out http://www.mini-itx.com for more info), and that's not even including the mini-ITX motherboards that have been around even longer.

Of course, I personally think most of those PC mini-boards were inspired by the predecessor of the Mac mini: the G4 Cube. So in that respect, it's business as usual in the Wintel world. :rolleyes:

it's just a concept ... I could make one just like that too with the form, paint, plugs, etc. I'm not sure Intel will really create more than a working prototype for this.

Well just for the sake of fairness, Apple didn't exactly invent the design for the G5 iMac. Years ago there was a PC called the Monorail -- system components housed behind an LCD screen, slot loading CD-ROM (or CD-RW maybe). Apple seems to have its fair share of original designs but it does sometimes go the other way.

Still, if I hadn't already purchased a PowerMac, I'd be very interested in the Mac mini.

heh. And they never look as good. It's just inevitable.

Damn straight, the mac mini is class all the way, that thing looks like it was pulled from a star trek convention. It's too chrome looking for me. You can pretty much never top Apple for design.

Freiheit said:
Well just for the sake of fairness, Apple didn't exactly invent the design for the G5 iMac. Years ago there was a PC called the Monorail -- system components housed behind an LCD screen, slot loading CD-ROM (or CD-RW maybe). Apple seems to have its fair share of original designs but it does sometimes go the other way.

Yes, the mobo behind the screen is really nothing new, however the execution of this design is. Apple turned it into something stylish and sleek. All the other vendors who have designed similar systems did it with less flash and style. No one is saying that Apple invented this layout, but they are saying Apple is the first to make it look good in a manner where people would actually buy something like this for their house.

Ewww that's ugly. If I wanted a small PC like that, I get this.

nespcmod.jpg

LOL

I believe on that mini-itx site they have one that is built into a humidor. Now that's pretty neat. :D

Guys... read the article! Intel made a piece of plastic that looks like the Mac Mini. There is quite literally nothing inside that thing!!! What a retarded moment in computing history.

MDLarson said:
Guys... read the article! Intel made a piece of plastic that looks like the Mac Mini. There is quite literally nothing inside that thing!!! What a retarded moment in computing history.

Doesn't matter. What Intel is trying to do is help spur industry design. They are trying to get the other manufacturers to design new, flashy boxes, so Intel can push more processors as they are feeling their sales dip.

diablojota said:
Doesn't matter. What Intel is trying to do is help spur industry design. They are trying to get the other manufacturers to design new, flashy boxes, so Intel can push more processors as they are feeling their sales dip.

maybe they should pay their industrial designers more ...

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but there is a very well-built retrofit of a mini-itxs motherboard system into an old Mac SE/30 The creator dubbed it the Mac-ITX.

Here's the link:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/mac-itx/

I just noticed on the first paragraph that this person actually gutted a WORKING SE/30. Now THAT'S a shame.. :( Why couldn't he have used a dead one instead?? And how I wish I had one of those SE/30s. Great little box for NetBSD... :D

nixgeek said:
What's interesting is that this is nothing new. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a nano-ITX motherboard in there made entirely by Intel. There have been nano-ITX motherboards available from VIA and others for some time now (check out http://www.mini-itx.com for more info), and that's not even including the mini-ITX motherboards that have been around even longer.

Of course, I personally think most of those PC mini-boards were inspired by the predecessor of the Mac mini: the G4 Cube. So in that respect, it's business as usual in the Wintel world. :rolleyes:

Did anyone every clone the Cube? I can't remember

Sorry for the late post, but honestly I think that this is infuriating. It is so unbelievably obvious that this is a total copy of the Mini- why o why can't the PC whores get their own designs? First, steal our software, but our computer design? I SHUN THEM!!!

Back