The Recipe Thread

Lazzo

Registered
Hi folks - bored sleeping, eating and drinking Macs? Put your recipes here and let's see what comes up, so to speak.

To start you off, I just finished my lunch:

1 packet diced chicken
1 packet egg tagliatelli
3 vinegar preserved red chillies
1 wok
1 large saucepan
1 shot glass
1 pair of scissors
1 plate

Throw the egg tagliatelli in a saucepan of hot water with the chillies (cut into sections) and generous squirts of Tobasco but don't put it on the gas yet. Let it cook partially as it stands.

Stir the diced chicken around the wok until it stops sticking to everything. Put lid on wok and let it stew for five minutes. Then add 1 tablespoon of West Indian hot pepper sauce (the yellow stuff if possible), three teaspoons of Patak's vindaloo curry paste premixed in two inches of water in a shot glass and stir all this muck for three minutes.

Put the partially stand-cooked egg tagliatelli on the gas and boil for two minutes, at the same time stirring the chicken in the wok around.

After ten minutes prep and cooking time, drain off the tagliatelli, chuck it all on the plate and eat.

Then spend thirty minutes doing the blasted washing up left over from the weekend.

Attachments

• chicken_vindaloo.jpg
    chicken_vindaloo.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 8
Okay here comes a bounce ...

Blueberry-Couscous Cake

6 cups apple juice
1 T vanilla
3 cups couscous
1 pint blueberries

- Pick over bb's, wash and set on
paper towels to dry

- Combine apple juice, vanilla, and_
couscous in a large saucepan and
bring to a boil.

- Cook, stirring constantly until
thickened & all juice absorbed.
Remove from heat.

- Gently fold the bb's into hot mix.

- Rinse but don't dry a 9x14 (inch) cake
pan & pour the mix into it.

- Chill until set, about 2 hours.

- Cut into squares

Variations:

- Use strawberries in place of blueberries,
top with unsweetened fruit jam thinned with
a little water, arrange fruit slices on top
for decoration.

Melted Eggs:
Pour a bit of vegetable oil into a bowl.
Crack n pour 2 eggs into the bowl....slice some cheese, then dice them into tiny scraps. Pour those tiny cheese (Cheesies) into the bowl. Take out those egg beater thingies, and mix it all up. Then toss the bowl into the microwave for a minute and a half.
Look at your beautiful, melted eggs.

~ 1 24" to 30" skinned & cleaned western diamondback rattlesnake, cut in 3" to 4" pieces
~ drippings of 6 slices of bacon
~ 3/4 cup oil
~ 3/4 lb. cooked ham, diced
~ 2 cups milk
~ 1 tbs brewed coffee
~ 1/2 cup flour (1 tbs reserved)
~ biscuits or toast
~ salt and pepper
~ tabasco sauce, optional

In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings.

Add the oil to the drippings. Flour rattlesnake and fry over medium heat until golden brown.

Remove each piece as it becomes done and drain on paper towels.

Drain off the oil and drippings reserving 1 tbs. Add 1 tbs of flour. Stir and scrape bottom of the skillet to remove any browned stuck pieces.

Add the ham, coffee and milk. Stir until bubbly. If too thick add water, coffee or milk a tablespoon at a time.

Serve the rattlesnake with biscuits or toast and the ham gravy.

Salt and pepper and/or season with tabasco sauce to taste.

Serves 2 -3.

Enjoy!

Variation: Try ground sausage instead of ham.

The above recipe is adapted from the originals which can be found in the Complete Fish & Game Cookbook by A.D Livingston (copyright 1996) and Mesquite Country Tastes & Traditions From The Tip Of Texas, (recipe by Faye Carter), Hidalgo County Historical Museum (copyright 1996).

Also see http://www.backwoodsbound.com/

Sorry everybody, I couldn't resist. I come from rattlesnake country, and we have been known to eat them somewhat like this from time to time.;)

Heh heh - If it's got four legs (sometimes two), crawls, flies, slithers, swims or climbs, I'll try it.

Wonder if that (rather fatty-sounding) recipe works with grass snakes or adders? They're about the only snakes we've got over here.

Giaguara, no sweet tooth here!

Lazzo don't worry. The couscous cake is fat-free unless you add fat there. I though avoid even that now, i try to be wheat-free (and meat-free etc) ...

It was ebolag4's bacon dripping I was referring to.

I try to avoid fatty stuff in my own cooking (though that's rather a broad word for what I do), mostly because I can't walk past an Indian restaurant without being hypnotised by the aroma and those are the places where I get my fat!

Well, you have to add some fatty stuff considering that rattlesnake is nearly void of it. ;)

That was not my normal recipe for rattlesnake anyway, but it was the closest thing I could find here at work. There is also a recipe for baked western diamondback on the same site I listed above. I'd like to give that a try. I has much less fat.

Sopa De Aguacate Y Papas
Colombian Avocado Vichyssoise

3 leeks -- white part only, sliced thinly
2 Medium potatoes -- peeled and sliced thinly
3 Cups vegetable stock
1 Cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 avocados -- mashed
Garnish: chopped chives or chopped cilantro

Heat stock in a medium saucepan and add leeks and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender ~ about 20 minutes. Puree in blender, then return to the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream. Puree avocado in blender. If serving hot, stir in the avocado just as you're ready to serve, as heat embitters the avocado. If serving cold, allow the stock to cool, then stir in avocado puree and refrigerate. Serve both with minced chives or cilantro._

One traditional way (it's ok both hot and cold) is before a fish course.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10225

Yum! is a great recipe app (and freeware). I've tried several of the dishes and have added a few in myself. Plus, a little bluetooth export to my pda and I have the recipe list ready to take with me.

Some spicy Asian Rendang Daging was on last weekend's menu.

For 2 people:

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
450ml thick coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp. hot chilli powder
1 tsp. tumeric
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. laos powder
50ml vegetable oil
1kg braising steak, cut into strips or small cubes
2 Tbsp. desiccated coconut, roasted
1/2 tsp. chopped lemon grass or grated lemon rind
25g tamarind
125ml boiling water
1 tsp. soft brown sugar

Put the onion, garlic and ginger into a blender with about 50ml of coconut milk and blend to a smooth, thick paste. Stir in the ground chilli powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin and laos powder until the mixture is thoroughly blended. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When it is hot, add the beef pieces and fry, stirring occasionally, until they are browned. Add the coconut mixture and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add a spoonful or two of water if the mixture becomes too dry. Stir in the desiccated (shredded) coconut and lemon grass or rind, then pour over the remaining coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, put the tamarind into a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Set aside until it is cool. Put the contents of the bowl through a strainer into the saucepan, pressing as much of the pulp through as possible.

Stir the tamarind liquid and brown sugar into the meat mixture until it is well blended. Re-cover and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and tender.

Transfer the mixture to a warmed serving bowl and serve at once.

recipe - courtesy of yum! with a few tweaks from my g/f's Mom's recipe. A little briyani or plain white rice and some curry puffs top it off nicely, or if you want to give it a slight Mexican tinge, some mexican rice and flour tortillas also work tremendously with it.

Mmmm...I love rattlesnake (I'm originally from South Texas ;)). Though usually I had 'em barbequed.

Um, I request that some fatty foods get posted here. I have a fast metabolism, I have to have that sort of food. :p (Err...hyperactive metabolism describes it better - someone with a fast metabolism would say I have a fast metabolism :D)

Randman, I like the sound of that Rendang Daging but what's laos powder? I've never heard of it.

Lemon marinated Strawberries

Strawberries
Lemons or lemon juice
Sugar
Limoncello (or any other lemon liquor or lemon tasted vodka etc)

Clean the strawberries and cut them to smaller slices. Put them to a bowl. Put enough lemon juice to cover them. Add some sugar (if you try this a couple of times you'll be able to estimate how sweet you like it). Add some limoncello (that is an italian lemon dessert liquore.), or some lemon tasting liquore or lemon vodka etc. Put to fridge for overnight to let the taste absorb. You can leave the alcohol out of it if you prefer, the lemons will add taste and marinade as well alone. :)

Powdered galangal. It's similar to ginger and is used in marinades and sauces. I usually substitute for a little more bite (and ease) by adding a little curry powder with a pinch of salt, garlic salt, if you have it.

No one cooks? :(

Apple Margarita

1 small apple
2 limes
ice
brown sugar
tequila

make the apple to slices. peel the lime, cut that to slices too. put them, brown sugar (e.g. 2 teaspoons, depending on how sweet you want it) and ice in the blender, run the blender untill it looks like a margarita.. then add tequila (if you are of legal drinking age) to taste. :D

Try to make the margarita with REAL strawberries (then just sugar and a lot of ice, and tequila!) or limes (the same, apart from strawberries) and then try again the horrible mixes in the bottles? ;)

I'd forgotten I started this thread!

Sounds like summer. I agree about the worthless off-the-peg 'kiddie mixers'. All liver-rot and no content.

Made a nice Rogon Josh at the weekend - or it would have been nice if I hadn't sat down and nodded off while it was cooking. Anyone wnat to buy a unique black aluminium saucepan?

Back