The Register: Apple Tablet?

Cat

Registered
From The Register:
Apple has filed for a European design trademark which may provide a tantalising glimpse of the company's long-awaited tablet computer.

The filing, made in May this year but only published this week, covers a "handheld computer" and contains sketches of what look like an iBook screen minus the body of the computer.

Sounds interesting!
August's Apple Expo Paris may prove more exciting than previously thought.
Indeed ... :)

Yes, I've been listening to chatter about this for the past few months. I wonder if that had anything to do with the new imac with removable display. This might have some legs especially with all the rumors about Apple meeting with XanEdu. very cool.. I coud see 2 or 3 of these lying around our offices... digital legal pads with wireless connections... white boards to go.

mi5moav said:
Yes, I've been listening to chatter about this for the past few months. I wonder if that had anything to do with the new imac with removable display. This might have some legs especially with all the rumors about Apple meeting with XanEdu. very cool.. I coud see 2 or 3 of these lying around our offices... digital legal pads with wireless connections... white boards to go.
Yeah right. You know, every time mi5 supports a rumor, it actually loses stock.

What's your batting average on predictions? Have you gotten one right yet?

mi5moav said:
Kinda of interesting that Apple coined the term Ipod back in 1989 almost 15 years ago....

sure ???

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    67.6 KB · Views: 69
Hey Chevy Chase, didn't you click on the link in my post?? Hello??? I said, coined the term... not created for the specific use it is now?

Is this what you link to ?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 50
No, that's not what I linked to at all, and you can see on that page that the system goes down during certain hours of the day. Is the time you tried to access it within the specified downtime hours?

Ok, there is a second page.... and Apple bought the name later, in 2002 if I understand correctly because they couldn't get it cancelled in 2001. But the name was registered in 1989 by another company.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 29
Just a wild guess: The next iMac will be a mac with a removable monitor that functions as a slate form factor tablet. Hopefully they've fixed up their software to make using Inkwell worth it...

Cat said:
From The Register:

Sounds interesting!
Indeed ... :)

I don't think so ... I've seen the name "AirMac" somewhere, so it will not substitute the iMac. I think it will rather be a device like the iPod: works with a Mac, but also as a standalone.

Just freewheeling here: all data is transmitted via an Airport network and the tablet functions as a low power Mac ... let's say it has got a 1 GHz G3 and an 16-32 MB average video card (1024-768), ~4 GB hard disk, 265 MB RAM, 14-15" screen, runs OS X just fine, dual usb, 1 Firewire 400, no optical disk, some controls on the bezel, comes with a stylus.
It comes with special software to work as a universal remote control for all things Mac: Airport admin, Airport Express controls, Remote Desktop, System administration and when hooked into your Mac directly it can function as a graphical drawing tablet.
It is intended to work with you Mac, to pull all data over wirelessly. Your music and video's are on your main Mac, the Tablet serves as viewer. Perhaps even some/most processing can be offloaded to your main Mac and the data streamed to the AirMac. Hence the low specs. Battery life should be somewhere around-above iBook range 6-8 h.
Price should be around $1000-1200.

These are just guesses / speculation. I wonder if it will ever substantiate into a real shipping product ... imagine a big corporations building with full Airport coverage and executives bustling about using the AirMac with iSight and iChat A/V ... could be a nice futuristic communications device. :)

Do you know any Wireless protocol that can support a full resolution display (50 Hz * a few M pixels * 32 bits, like Firewire) ?

No, I don't. That's why this is speculation. I believe that it is theoretically possible, but I lack the expertise to estimate what technology/throughput/etc. would be needed to achieve a usable interface that way.
It would not surprise me if Apple were the one to come out with such a protocol and product as first in the industry.
What if Wireless Firewire could be used through something like AirportExtreme? Does that sound completely unfeasible?

The fact that Apple hasn't put forth cease and desist orders kind of has me leaning toward fiction.

Plus, I still don't see a big market for it. But then I thought the iPod was dumb when it was first announced. I could not have been more wrong.

Back