There is a Panther in My Closet Mommy

ApeintheShell

Registered
I was visiting in Colorado Springs yesterday and attempted to repair my Aunt's Compaq comnputer. I saw an alternate blue screen of death when i changed the monitor resolution. Quite fun time I had.

So she admitted that maybe I was right those years I told her a Mac was a better purchase.
She has climbed the ladder from Windows 3.1 - Win XP and it has consistently broken down.
Her son is taking advantage of the educational discount.
Her family uses AOL for Broadband, MS Office, Real Player, and other applications that don't require heavy duty lifting.
However, her husband uses the machine as a server and has extensive knowledge in programming.
What is the right machine to go with?

Yes, there is a panther in my closet. He ate my copy of maxim.

I'm assuming she is contemplating switching are you asking which machine would be best for them to get?
Well, quite frankly, anything Apple sells right now will do what they want on the family side, and will be more than capable for the server section also. I have an iBook right now, and I have installed PHP and MySQL on it for use as a testing server. It's **** fast, and that's a 800MHz G3, probably the slowest computer Apple makes now (granted, it has maxed out RAM), so anything else is gonna run like the devil :).
I have an eMac bias personally (it has all the power of the iMac but minus $$$ compared to the iMac because it doesn't have the LCD), so I would recommend that. However, an iMac would also do just fine, and I bet the husband would be really wowed with a dual G4, or maybe even a G5 when they come out. :D

Good luck, Mr. Evangelist!

it really depends on what they want to spend, they should go to an Apple store and take OS X for a test drive ;)

If they use the PC as a dedicated server, then they should have a separate computer for everyday use. You should never use a server for normal tasks because you never know when something could bring down your system, even in OS X, and you don't want downtime on your server. They should get a Mac with a G4, probably an eMac, and figure out if the PC will work for being a server only or normal computing only.

Back