Things I want to see in iChat 2.0

dlloyd

Official Pianist
Things I would like to see in iChat 2.0:

1) Proper buddy-list handling. Self explanatory.

2) Ability to select whether you want iChat to be 'chat' oriented or 'IM' oriented. For example, right now in the iChat menu-ling, selecting an online buddy opens a chat, not an IM.

3) Better away message handling. I want iChat to send my away message. Right now it only displays it if the other person is using iChat too.

4) Ability the have more than one account signed in at once. No explanation needed.

5) Improved interface. Yeah, the interface is pretty good, but it would be nice to have a 'reply' button and a bigger text box in the message window. The buddy list window is less than inspired at times. Since all the other iApps are going with the new interface, give iChat one too. Also, it would be really cool to have the buttons in graphite. Not everyone uses the Blue theme. Same goes for Safari, in that case.

6) More options for icon bouncing in the dock. I would like it bounce whenever I get a new message, not just on every fifth one, or whatever it does right now.

7) Improved file transfer. Sure, it's great, when you are chatting with someone who has iChat. I haven't got it to work with anyone on any other software so far.

8) Better control when I start a chat. I want to be able to name it what I want. Not just 'alexoreo's chat' or whatever.

9) Let me select which online status I want as default. I don't always want to be just 'Available' when I press Apple+L.

10) Better buddy handling. Two things here: I want it to be easier to add buddies who are not in my Address Book, and I want to be able to see if someone is online without adding them to my buddy-list.

11) IM log viewer. I know there is a folder where chats are saved, but I am too lazy to go there. Just give me an easy way to view them.

This is all I can think of now. I may find some more later. Feel free to post any of yours. Who knows, maybe I'll get them together and send them all to Apple! :)

Sounds good. At least half your requests would of been mine as well. We can only cross our fingers and hope.

Originally posted by dlloyd

6) More options for icon bouncing in the dock. I would like it bounce whenever I get a new message, not just on every fifth one, or whatever it does right now.

7) Improved file transfer. Sure, it's great, when you are chatting with someone who has iChat. I haven't got it to work with anyone on any other software so far.

I'm up for an iChat update as well...but I think that these are already possible. I starting using iChat because I have 2 accounts i use regularly now.

For #6 go to prefs, then actions. Then select event: reply recieved from the popup menu and enable the bouncing in the dock. This bounces the icon every time for me.

For #7 I've been able to transfer pics, .mp3s, and .mpg files with my girlfriend, and she is using IM for windows. It should work...

Some other cool things I would like to see (not already mentioned):

1. Tabbed IM windows keep things organized.
2. Ability to time-stamp messages and have a more "IM" style interface if wanted.
3. Have an active dock icon that tells you when buddies have signed in/off.
4. Have IM window translucency and the ability to keep it on top so browsing and chatting can more easily be done.

I would add:

Better handling of reading others profiles, and editing of my own.

The abililty to easily connect to the Community Chats. I don't do it very often, but there are a few times I'd like to and have not been able to.

I would like to be able to use iChat when i chat with friends who have ICQ or Messenger cuz they dont have mac. (yeah, i know, infidels!)

10) Better buddy handling. Two things here: I want it to be easier to add buddies who are not in my Address Book, and I want to be able to see if someone is online without adding them to my buddy-list.

i wouldl like this to

This is coming from an AIM for 9 user.

1) Proper buddy-list handling. Sure, why not.

2) Ability to select whether you want iChat to be 'chat' oriented or 'IM' oriented. Stupid behavior to open a chat instead of an IM.

3) Better away message handling. I would like to receive the away message, since I'm sure you all get my away messages.

4) Ability the have more than one account signed in at once. This would be nice in any IM software. Apple should pioneer on this one.

5) Improved interface. I'll take your word on it... I don't have enough experience using iChat to comment here.

6) More options for icon bouncing in the dock. I personally prefer for stuff not to be blinking our bouncing at me when I receive a message, because it's visually distracting and I might be doing something more important at the moment. So, from the other end of the spectrum, I agree on this point.

7) Improved file transfer. Indeed! Many are the times that I have tried to send a picture or file to someone and they have ended up with garbage, or vice versa.

8) Better control when I start a chat. AIM has this, so, um, yeah.

9) Let me select which online status I want as default. What's Apple-L do?

10) Better buddy handling. Definitely, and Definitely definitely.

11) IM log viewer. LOL, I could care less.

This is all I can think of now. I may find some more later. Feel free to post any of yours. Who knows, maybe I'll get them together and send them all to Apple! :)
I would like better connectivity between .mac customers and AOL IM members. Currently, I believe, you can only connect to those with the same kind of account as you, which sucks if you can't afford or don't want to pay for .mac, or you're strictly opposed to anything remotely AOL-related gracing your hard drive. (Of course, it should also connect to ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, and all the others... but that's a different matter.)

Of course a few improvements in the iChat interface would be wicked, but as far as I see it, the #1 'improvement' I need is MSN support. Is it conceivable ? I don't know. CNET said something about it two months ago, if I recall well.

Um...exactly what do you mean there, arden? I don't have a .mac account, but I can chat/send files, whatever to people who do....

Only improvement I can think of is better handling of file sends/receives. I've actually crashed my brother's AIM a couple of times sending him a file. :p (But I tell him that's what he gets for using a PC. :D)

I'd also like a free iSight, but I don't think that'll happen ;)

my girlfriend uses AIM on PC and we both send and receive files all the time, i even once accidentely sent a 16 meg picture, (dont ask why) and it worked fine

Ability to export convos to standard text and/or HTML- Please? Currently, it's some weird proprietary iChat format, that contains lots of extra weird text if you open it in another app

what else is there to ask from iChat apart from compatibility with MSN messenger and maybe ICQ networks.

anythin else is just another detail...

I would like to see Audio and Video Chat's... That would be bomb... Maybe even a little tubular G5 styled camera from apple...

Darkshadow, I'm using AOL Instant Messenger 4.3.1232 :)rolleyes: I hate stupid numbering), and I can't talk to anybody with a .mac account unless they also have an AIM screen name. And for those who do, I sometimes have trouble transferring files, either through IM or via file transfer.

Mr. K: :p

Back