Tiger bug list. hopefully could be helpful

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
Bugs i have found:

the dock one (highlighted in anandtech) where if you context menu on a dock icon magnified and then click somewhere else on the desktop, it stays magnified.

messenger seems to have picked up a latancy. not absolutely tiger, but it didn't happen under panther, so i'll leave it here.

please post up any bugs you find, and hopefully, we can hone down a list of the main ones (and the minor niggles) and report them. it'll hopefully speed up the improvemnt in terms of public (beta :() testing

haven't had any problems with Spotlight, one with the Dock where none of the names came above the icons. I just Quit the Dock and relaunched it and it worked fine... :rolleyes:

This is not actually a bug, but annoing feature 10.4 introduced: I have a 2-1 USB switch,
that I use to use my keyboard either with PC or Powerbook. When I press the swith
button to use the keyboard on the PC, Tiger shows "Keyboard Setup Assistant" dialog,
since for some reason it knows that there is a keyboard, but it does not know what
(since the keyboard is connected to the PC).

If I close the dialog, it does not show again, but there was no dialog on Panther.

Dashboard updates data only when it's open. You can say it's not a bug but a feature (to save CPU time etc.), but it really causes problems. If you don't open Dashboard for a while (say few hours) and then open it just for a second you'll see old weather data. The new weather information just won't have enough time to load. You'll see the update only in a few hours when you open Dashboard again… when this new data is outdated too :)

Konfabulator lets its widgets update themselves all the time and thus has no such problem.

One more bug. This time it's a real bug.

The windows in the new style (aluminium or aluminum :p) are displayed a bit incorrectly. Below is a screenshot of the Mail.app's title zoomed. The purple arrows point the wrong, darker pixels.

tigerbug.gif

All windows in the old aqua style (e.g. Finder with its toolbar hidden) look OK.

Can someone confirm this is a bug? In Spotlight Preferences one can only exclude ONE external drive from the search (in the Privacy panel).

My cheap USB webcam is no longer recognized. It's an Emprex PC-380. Don't know if this is a bug, but I can't use it anymore. Well, I don't need it that much anyway

Another quasi-bug. The background texture for the bookmark bar in Safari scrolls as you resize the whole Safari window. Maybe not bug, but it comes across that way.

spotlight also doesn't find everything. only some things

The Spotlight drop down menu/window only shows the top 20 or so matches. To see the whole list, click "Show All" -- the first item in the spotlight drop down.

Dashboard can't figure out the temperatures in Phoenix by name. I have to use my ZIP code. Well, unless it's in the 50s right now. Not!

Also, in Safari, the bottom scroll bar often moves to the right by itself when changing pages. Thus, I am constantly moving it back where it belongs.

I don't think he'd overlook that, brianleahy. It's too obvious, if you're testing whether Spotlight finds everything.

yes, it's not even finding 5. it takes a minute to find a few results based on filename alone. no meta-crawling, or even folder names

Okey doke. As I've said, I haven't really been digging deeply into Tiger until the last couple of days, so it's all new to me.)

(And the celsius thing was a joke; 55C is 131F. I know it gets hot in AZ, but 131 on May 1st ?!?)

I've noticed an iPod problem.
So I decided to a do a clean install and re-install all my applications (Basically just iLife '05, Office 2004, and iPod software).
However, when I try and install my iPod software disc, I have problems. When it checks to see if it can be installed, it can't; the problem is that I need the Mac OS X Network Update.

Anyone else have this problem?
Is it fixable? If so, how?

(P.S. iTunes works fine -- do I even need to do the install of the software? I'm a little unclear about this.)

you really don't like spotlight do you fryke?

do you wanna let it out? it's ok to cry. it doesn't make you any less of a man.

For people whose Spotlight didn't index everything:

Force Spotlight to reindex your hd by typing this in Terminal:

sudo mdutil -E /

For people who had problem with the weather widget:

Go to AccuWeather.com and find your location. Paste the part in the resulting URL after "&zipcode=" onto your widget settings field.

Back