Tiger on an iMac G4

markceltic

Apple Addicted
Since I don't have my machine all maxed out like some of you I was wondering how other folks with a system like mine find the performance of Tiger.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 22
I have a very similar system to yours. I have an iMac G4 - mine is slower, with an 800MHz CPU and a 100MHz System Bus, but I have a bit more RAM - 768MB, compared with your 512MB.

Tiger runs great on my machine. It's faster than Panther in some respects, and about the same speed in others. It does slow down a little when using a lot of virtual memory. I have a little utility that shows, in the menubar, how big my VM swapfiles are. When VM size gets to 1GB, I see some slowdowns. But again, the slowdowns are no more noticeable than they were in Panther.

In sum, I'd say you're good to go, no problem.

Best,
Matt

I've got virtually the same spec (1.25GHz, 768MB etc.) and Tiger runs beautifully - no complaints.

I don't exactly max out my machine, though - Mail, Newsfire and Safari are open 24/7 with iTunes also open most of the time and either DreamWeaver or iPhoto with Photoshop.

Don't underestimate the power of RAM, though. 512 to 768 is a noticeable difference. I personally think you shouldn't run Tiger with anything below 768 MB of RAM, but that's a very personal opinion - and people who ain't using Adobe CS and other "high profile" applications might be okay with less RAM.
Either way: If you plan on upgrading the machine anytime soon, I'd consider upping it to a gig of memory. It helps.

Back