Tiger Upgrade - will it keep iLife??

alexandr

kosmonaut
last monday i got my new PowerBook, pre-installed with Panther. Today i recieved the Tiger Upgrade DVD. i'm planning on doing a clean install, but i'm a bit concerned if my iLife suite which came with the machine will be lost during the process. do i have to extract theese from my Panther Install discs afterward again? or will the innstaller ask med for the discs when installing?

alex.

You'll have to "extract" them. Clean installing means only what's on the Tiger DVD will be installed, and iLife is not a part of it. (Well, iTunes will be installed, of course.)

You will have to perform a System Restore to get your iLife apps back. That will only install iDVD and GaragaBand though. If you want to install iPhoto and iMovie, you will need to install it manually from the DVD by searching for the .pkg files.

Any apps that can't be custom intalled via your Panther disks can be restored using Pacifist assuming it is Tiger compatible enough. The last time I looked there was no mention of Tiger-Pacifist compatibility. You might want to consider doing an archive and install/preserve user and network settings since this approach installs the new system cleanly and, at the same time, preserves your files, apps, and settings. You might want to uninstrall any Tiger unfriendly apps before archiving/preserving--especially Virex if installed.

alexandr said:
last monday i got my new PowerBook, pre-installed with Panther. Today i recieved the Tiger Upgrade DVD. i'm planning on doing a clean install, but i'm a bit concerned if my iLife suite which came with the machine will be lost during the process. do i have to extract theese from my Panther Install discs afterward again? or will the innstaller ask med for the discs when installing?

Here is some information about installing Apple apps assuming your Mac came with 10.3.7 or later (if they exist) DVDs.

my PB came with panther 10.3.0, and i did the upgrade to 3.9 trough software update. i don't think any macs gets delivered with 3.7 already installed..

thanks for the help you all. seems like a kinda heavy process, though.. strange they didn't think about this. afterall, all macs bought in the first 4 months of 2005 would have been delivered with iLife '05 and most people would wanna keep some of those apps when getting tiger..

oh well..

alex.

indeed they have. and it mentions powerbook gG4's in particualr, so maybe mine did aswell.. i didn't really pay that much attention when running software update..

alex.

alexandr said:
...all macs bought in the first 4 months of 2005 would have been delivered with iLife '05 and most people would wanna keep some of those apps when getting tiger..
Apple did think about that and the answer is quite simple. Simply do an update install or archive install and everything will be preserved just as it is. I have performed several of each and other than the required updating of a lot of apps and utilities there has not been the first problem. Back in the classic Mac OS days when you did a clean install it was essentially the same thing as OS X's archive install.

If you choose to do an erase install, then you have to expect to go through re-installing and updating everything. Given that the bundled applications change fairly often and are different from model to model to have upgrade disks that included the correct set of bundled apps would require Apple to produce hundreds even thousands of different combinations.

Back