Tiger

Foxman26

Registered
Has anyone tried installing Tiger on a 12in 1.33ghz G4 Powerbook? When booting off of the dvd I get a kernel panic. The first line says "cannot find driver for: Powerbook4,6" If anyone has experienced this or heard of this problem I would appreciate any input. The dvd works just fine in my pismo so I do not believe it is a problem with the dvd.

Foxman26 said:
Has anyone tried installing Tiger on a 12in 1.33ghz G4 Powerbook? When booting off of the dvd I get a kernel panic. The first line says "cannot find driver for: Powerbook4,6" If anyone has experienced this or heard of this problem I would appreciate any input. The dvd works just fine in my pismo so I do not believe it is a problem with the dvd.

its a problem with the kernel on the Tiger DVD. a lot of G4 powerbooks are not supported.

you can either install Tiger on an external HD or
on another partition of your PB.

to do either you need to run System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
on the Tiger DVD from your primary OS X partition.

it'll run the normal OS install routine, just select the alternate partition you want it installed to. after it installs, repair disk permissions the Tiger partition from your primary OS X partition before rebooting into Tiger.

Yeah, so in my attemts to make it work i just put the dvd in my external dvd burner and booted off of it. The dvd booted just fine from the external burner and i installed tiger with no problems.

Foxman26 said:
Yeah, so in my attemts to make it work i just put the dvd in my external dvd burner and booted off of it. The dvd booted just fine from the external burner and i installed tiger with no problems.

oh wow, ive never read that solution in any of the threads concerning the problem. seems simple enough.

perhaps its not the G4 powerbook the Tiger DVD has no drivers for but the optical drive itself.

very interesting!

I get the same Kernel Panic message while trying to boot the Tiger installer, except that it refers to my G4/400 AGP as a "PowerMac3,3".
I even put my G4 back to a stock configuration except for a 120GB boot HD. No difference.
I'll have to try your method with an external DVD drive to see if that works for me.

Cheers!

The version of Tiger they're talking about, and the version of Tiger you have (if it is a retail copy or otherwise current, "legit" copy) are VERY different. The early seeds of Tiger didn't support a lot of machines, while the final retail version supports many more.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The version of Tiger they're talking about, and the version of Tiger you have (if it is a retail copy or otherwise current, "legit" copy) are VERY different. The early seeds of Tiger didn't support a lot of machines, while the final retail version supports many more.
You are correct. I'm just disappointed that the "legit" retail version I have crashes just like that early seed. I should have made that point in my post. Anyway, the release version may indeed support more machines, but apparently not mine. :(

Thanks for your response. Cheers!

This is very strange. I have a Powerbook G4 12" 1.33 GHz, and I don't have problems booting the Tiger DVD. What on earth could be going on?

Back