To Go Where No PC Has Gone Before

Hmmm! Obviously that iwalk thing wouldn't be a place pcs have not gone.

Flat panel iMac is more viable, but I'm still skeptical about that

How many of you are REALLY exicted about another iMac with a flat panel screen? I sure as heck ain't.

ericb

I may not personaly need an iMac but anything, ANYTHING that gets apple good press and attention and sells one more of their products is great news!

Cheers

If Apple releases an iMac with a 1 GHz processor, a 17" flat panel screen, a SuperDrive, and base 512 MB of RAM for $399, that would CERTAINLY be where no PC has gone before. ;) Of course, something more realistic might not. So I'm inclined to think that Apple has actually prevented the leakage of whatever breakthrough product they're about to release, and the claim that is "Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond" further supports this. I just don't think anyone is going to guess what's going to come from our favorite computer company.

Of course I do. Just not when you're noticing it. ;) I slept from 3 AM to 4 PM today. :D (Well, I mean yesterday, technically. But to me my day's not over yet.)

Haha, that's the lamest fake I've ever seen... hahaha :D
Oh my god, LOOK! the holes for the speakers are solid black! I guess it took about 5 minutes to make, hehe ;)

I agree, that's a pretty amusing fake. It probably didn't even take 5 minutes to make. Just get a picture of an Apple Studio Display in that orientation from Apple's website, get a picture of the DVD Studio Pro CD from Apple's website, and get a picture of Mac OS X from Apple's website. Then, make a speaker design using black pixels, paste it on to the two sides of the display. Cut the CD graphic in half, rotate it, and place it at the top of the studio display picture. Then add a small vertical line at the top of the display to indicate a microphone. Then paste the picture of Mac OS X in the middle of the display (you probably wouldn't even have to do this as the graphic is probably already on the display from Apple's website). Then post it. I could probably do that in 3 minutes.

A long time ago there was a development version of an old Mac OS that ran on x86 hardware. It was OS 7 or something like that. The project was code named "Star Trek." It didn't last long, got pruned though I read that they did make some good progress.

(I don't have a link, but I have read about this many times and it should be easy to find info online.)

Star Trek... where no man has gone before... where no PC has gone before... so, obviously, the Macworld announcement is OS X for the x86 architecture.

OK, I don't believe this but it is always fun to speculate!

Well, my money (if I had any) would be on a port of OS X that runs on Wintel boxes and AMD chips. Anyone notice that IBM has their answer to the iPod out? It's got a 10 gig hard drive?
I just took a step over to the dark side tonight: xbox. It's very very cool. Halo dominates. Batman Vengence is beautiful and fun, but difficult to control. I haven't played with the soundtrack stuff yet, I'll let you know.

Originally posted by bewshy
How many of you are REALLY exicted about another iMac with a flat panel screen? I sure as heck ain't.

i am! i get the flat panel and all that other good stuff with the quality assurance of using a mac for under the price of a PowerMac G4!

i can't wait!

:D

"No "PC" has gone before...hmmm"
Apple considers themselves Personal Computers (PC), so PC also applies in the Macintosh world, but we always use something different... i.e. "Mac vs. PC"

Yeah, I too maaybe think it's an OS X port to run on x86 chips... that'd be really cool... :D

Seriously, I think A LOT more people would start using OS X then!

Originally posted by boomw
Anyone notice that IBM has their answer to the iPod out? It's got a 10 gig hard drive?

Do you have a link for that? Couldn't find any info at IBM or google.......

FaRuvius

i don't know if this is what boomv is talking about, but D-Link recently announced a 10 gig HD equipped MP3 player similar to the iPod. it's called the Roq-It. it's not nearly as cool as the iPod, though, IMHO.

edit: oops, forgot to include the URL.
http://www.dlink.com/

1. A full fledged, full power Mac running OS X and any app on a handheld

2. OS X on PC Hardware (AMD and/or Intel)

Those are both "where no PC has gone before"...

here's a thought...

maybe today's teaser *is* a Star Trek reference, but not a reference to Apple's "Star Trek" project (MacOS on intel), but instead referring to some type of Star Trek like device.

well, transporters, phasers, tri-corders, warp engines and holodecks are, obviously, out of the question, but maybe a hand-held data pad (yes, a PDA of sorts) isn't so far-fetched.

a data-pad running OSX, with wireless connectivity to all the data on your desktop mac. that would be sweet.

Back