Turn off that really annoying beep!

Does this fix apply to the system beep that occurs when you press the delete key at the beginning of a line in the terminal shell?

I find this one to be more unsettling than the volume system beep.

I followed the directions exactly...

It turned off the beeps alright... it freakin disabled the volume buttons altogether!

Nothing worked cept eject... so i had to change it all bakc to normal... lemme know if it's just me

I had the same exact problem - none of the volume keys ont he keyboard worked after this. I just finished putting it back.

dammit

well, they didn't lie, it definitely stopped the beeping :rolleyes:

if someone finds a way to do this that actually works, do let us know!

Originally posted by waiting_for_OSX
Does this fix apply to the system beep that occurs when you press the delete key at the beginning of a line in the terminal shell?

I find this one to be more unsettling than the volume system beep.

If it doesn't, you can do that in the Terminal prefs.

sorry guys..

worked fine for me (10.1.4, Apple Pro Keyboard) all the volume keys still work fine.:confused:

Hope i didnt stuff your system up!

My line 00024whatever didn't have those values in it; in fact, my document didn't have those values in it. I have a revision D iMac and 10.1.4 with the Pro Mouse and Pro Keyboard. Any ideas?

did you search for "4800b475"?

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP THE ORIGINAL!!

good luck... my system is still fine!
any one else had any success with this hack?

4800b475?!?!?!? Check the directions on ResExcellence! The search box and the text don't match! My system is fine with 4800b475 changed to 60000000.

I know it's fun hacking around in the system and all but... why not just use a sound editor to make a silent system sound that's a fraction of a second, put it in your system, and use THAT as your alert sound? Or am I missing the point here?

Brilliantly posted by adambyte
I know it's fun hacking around in the system and all but... why not just use a sound editor to make a silent system sound that's a fraction of a second, put it in your system, and use THAT as your alert sound? Or am I missing the point here?

but then........ well...... but......

geez..... you're absolutely right! lol i wish i'd thought of that. adambyte - you're a genius

hrm... apparently not...

it did it, and it works for the error sound. but the volume keys now play "pong" whenever they're pressed... which is somewhat interesting...

any ideas?

I just had to come in here, though we already know it I MUST rephrase it:

"It is not smart to mess around in your Mac OS system, unless of course you have a couple thousand dollars lying around that you can throw around. If you want something done in the system, request it to Apple. Besides: that's all OS X really is: user's opinions. Messing with the operating system can have good impacts, but probablility of it 'screwing' up your system is 79%. So, if your going to get inside your system: just be aware of the facts"

I learned the hard way with my last computer. And it's no fun.

Originally posted by testuser
Put "silence.aiff" in your /Library/Sounds folder. If a "Sounds" folder does not exist, make one first. Log out of the Finder, and then log back in. You can now use the Sound panel to select "silence.aiff" and rid yourself of the alert beep.

Tried again with this file, thinkin maybe it was something i did when i made mine. Still no luck. It makes the error sound silent, but decides to play the pong one whenever i change the volume on the keyboard... makes no sense... grrr

Ah, excellent

Thanks, y'all. My earphones must be really loud - I have my system volume as low as I can get it without turning it off altogether (in the menubar volume control), and sounds in Flash or QT movies are always deafening even so, since they start at full volume. Same with the beep when I adjust the system volume.

I play iTunes at about 1/10 of full, so I'm probably listening at something like 1% of full. I wonder if turning everything all the way up would actually blow the speakers in the headphones...

"It is not smart to mess around in your Mac OS system, unless of course you have a couple thousand dollars lying around that you can throw around. If you want something done in the system, request it to Apple. Besides: that's all OS X really is: user's opinions. Messing with the operating system can have good impacts, but probablility of it 'screwing' up your system is 79%. So, if your going to get inside your system: just be aware of the facts"

1. it is smart to mess around with the internals of your system, it helps you understand how it works. and it s fun too!
  2. if i mess up my system beyond all repair, it costs me nothing to fix. i grab the install disk, and reinstall. voila! and it only took 30 minutes.
  3. messing with the system has good impacts: i can make the system behave in a way i like.
  4. the odds of screwing it up are 79%? that is simply untrue.

apple is taking users suggestions, but traditionally apple does not emphasize customisablity. traditionally i think they want the OS to look how they want it to look, and to behave like they think it should behave. OSX is a slight departure from that model. they are listening more to user input. but really, just how custommisable is it? not much. how much is apple listening? who knows.

OSX is UNIX based, and UNIX OSes have always been the do-it yourself OSes. that s why they are viewed as "hard to use". OSX has a little bit of apples trademark "welded shut" - ness, but it is still UNIX, and it can still be a do it yourself OS. in fact, i thought that was what this forum was all about.

OSX is also open source. this is another paradigm (one which goes hand in hand with the UNIX do-it-yourself paradigm), which encourages tinkering.

if you don t want to tinker with your system, you are under no obligation to do so. but i don t think it is fair for you to advise other people not to. we are here to share understanding of the OS. i think that as a moderator you should encourage this behavior.

...I trust testuser implicitly and am on the same proverbial wavelength with him/her (him?), but this time I have to disagree. Obviously, if the volume change is the only OS behavior affected, we are either setting the volume for that event to zero, or telling it to access a null sound. It works fine and is so simple that it's easy to restore the file if you don't like the result. I didn't have any trouble with it at all [except my technical communication gripe with the normally excellent (duh!) ResExcellence--see above]. It's the Terminal command lines that give people trouble--once you hit Return, there's no telling what will happen if you didn't know in the first place. The GUI hacks like that which is the topic of this thread, tho', are great for beginners--they teach us, little by little, how UNIX works, and they're easy to correct if we make a mistake.

Then perhaps every time you suggest a "defaults write" command you should mention that there is a "defaults read" command which show the current value of the string?

Just an idea...

Back