Ugh! Please tell me this isn't ever going to happen!

What's the point when you register your software, like everybody here ?

:D

More seriously, I don't trust SpyMac on this one.

I dont get it. You dont want to stop people from pirating the OS?

Entering a unique serial number at the install isnt the biggest deal in the world.

Sure, its not really going to stop the real pirates, nor does XP activation.

But im surprised that this wasnt implemented before.

Ugh, don't tell me I'll have to actually enter that code...I hate entering serial codes...

Jeez, if Apple becomes more like MS now I might have to leave, cause I don't want to be a part of it.

I only see it being a big deal if they do what MS did with Office, and scan the network for other machines using the same SN.

Yeah, that was REALLY annoying, I couldn't use Word one one computer while checking mail with Entourage on the other...
Still, the install is just so much easier when i don't have to type off numbers...

I sure hope they don't do it.

I can just imagine:
"Your computer can not be started because a computer on this network is using the same serial number as you. Please enter a valid serial number and your computer may start up."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why is this such a bad idea for Apple? You want Apple to prosper don't you? It make sense that as their user base continues to grow, people will be more inclined to pirate OS X and other Apple software.

I'm guessing that if Microsoft hadn't been the first company to do something similar, none of you would have a problem with Apple authenticating their software through a serial # or other means.

I've come to the conclusion that many Mac users are very greedy and selfish. First everyone petitions .mac which I can somewhat understand. Then, for some insane reason, they start petitioning to lower the price of Jaguar.

Sure, it's just a rumor now but I'm fairly sure if Apple releases Jaguar or future software with a serial #, everyone would b*tch and whine about that as well.

Why is this very serious? Why should we be so concerned? Are you implying that Apple has the potential to go the way of Microsoft? Honestly, everyone here talks as if Apple is the end all, be all of the computer industry and can do no wrong.

It's so petty to worry about something as trivial and entering a serial # or even having software authenticate itself on a network. Why should you be allowed to install 20 copies of OS X and FCP3? The bottom line is you shouldn't so stop your belly aching!

This is such FUD.

Apple does use serial numbers for their high-end software. Mac OSX Server, WebObjects (and I would FinalCut although I have not worked with that) all have VERY LONG and complicated serial numbers... even worse than Microsoft!

If Apple wanted to be really nasty, they could do exactly what Microsoft is trying to do with WindowXP and hardware ID keys (but Apple would get it so it works). Macs all come with an individual serial numbers, and it would be simple to keep a database of all of the serial numbers that log into the internet with an OSX serial number.

When I read the first part of the SpyMac article, it makes me think of all of the pre-release OSX piracy instead of the actual OSX.

It wouldn't be a problem for me. Of course I wouldn't want to have to buy another liscense, but I would anyways.

I see it being a problem though with other people who are cheap and will complain until are out of breath that they have to enter a serial number.

I don't see why it would be such a big deal for most people.

The only thing that would be bad about it is it would probably catch a lot of people by surprise, and of course they will be complaining about it.

As a developer in a tough economy I've grown to really hate piracy. Yeah, I wish there was a way to stop it without requiring my users to enter the code. However, I haven't thought of it yet.

Please don't steal. I have to feed my family.

Vanguard

BTW, I wasn't accusing SimX of stealing. Instead I was just trying to put the idea into the board's head that it hurts people (like me).

My favorite model is easily downloadable software that expires without a code. That gives people a good chance to see if it's worth the money before they buy it but it doesn't promote widespread piracy.

As long as Apple keeps the number simple and doesn't require multiple home licenses like WinXP, I'm OK with it.

I don't know, there's something about installing a SN-free OS that makes me feel more comfortable with the computer...
Maybe it's the fact that I know the OS I'm installing is the exact same version as everybody else and that this feeling of a SN locking me into one specific machine isn't there (like it is in XP)...
Also, without OS SN's, I don't have this underlying feeling that the OS is checking up on me and my SN behind my back through the Internet...again like MS. And, software developers couldn't use my OS SN as protection for their software. Not that it would be such a bad thing but somehow I wouldn't really like software developers knowing my OS SN-who knows what kind of spyware there could be from that and how they could tie your computer use to your name? Maybe I'm paranoid but on the PC side, hidden things like Kazaa's spyware is troubling.

And without serial numbers, it just feels like Apple doesn't need to check your integrity, like they trust you more than MS does - it's "different", one of those things that draws me to the Mac. It's great for them to stop piracy, but even the best SN protection schemes (heck, even dongles) have always failed in the end because they can be created by someone, they can be taken apart by someone else no matter what - it just takes one person to figure it out and tell the rest of the world through the Internet, and then what do you have? The pirates get their free lunch and the rest of the legitimate user base has to go through some convoluted SN entry each time they install the OS.

Don't you guys prefer having an "anonymous" OS rather than one that is personalized to just you and may be checking it's legitimacy transparently behind your back? It just seems to me that adding this kind of protection would harm that "ease of installation" feature Mac OS X has, showing that Apple does not trust me the user, while the pirates get what they want anyway.

On MSNBC I saw a new story covering a possible bill that will allow the recording & motion picture industry to place software on computers that will seek and destroy pirated software. How is that possible? Not sure, considering it is possible to buy a CD and rip it for your own benifit. They are just taking it too far, next thing you know we will be paying for emails we send, which they tried to do before, i'm sure it will come around again.

No one ever tried to get people to pay for emails. It was all a rumor. The post office never tried to do it. The government never tried to do it. It was simply a hoax. People may have talked about the legitimacy and constitutionality of it, but no one ever tried to make it happen. We already ARE paying for email -- in our monthly bills from our ISPs.

Another thing: why, if Apple implements a "serial number" into their OS, does that mean that they're going the way of Microsoft? Microsoft is a crappy company NOT because of their serial number schemes, but because of their monopolistic business practices which largely go unnoticed among the home users of their software -- other than the fact that they're pretty much forced to use Microsoft stuff instead of alternative software. The REAL reasons they're on trial is stuff that you or I won't ever see -- the behind-the-scenes strongarming of competition... yes, you'll see the tip of the monopolistic practices that Microsoft is accused of doing when you try to uninstall Internet Explorer (and how integrated it is into the software), but if you think that's what they're in trouble for, wow -- go do some research. You don't even know the half of it!

Apple is NOT going the way of Microsoft just because they're charging full-price for their next OS update. Apple is NOT going the way of Microsoft because they might start requiring serial numbers for their OS. Apple is NOT going the way of Microsoft because they're charging for .mac now. Do these things seem vaguely similar to things Microsoft has done? Sort of, yes... does it mean that Apple is going to become a monopoly and be a burden to work with? Hell no.

I can understand the concern that people have over these things, however, we're all jumping the gun a little bit. Just because Apple is charging for some things now doesn't mean that they'll be the next bully on the block and start hosing their customers. Apple has always done us right. Sometimes we gotta swallow our pride and pay up in order for Apple to continue to provide us with awesome hardware and software, and this is one of those times. It makes me think sometimes whether Windows users just might be more loyal to their platform than Apple users claim to be. Microsoft screws the hell out of their customers, blumders, stumbles and falls, and the faithful come back for more. Apple decides to charge full-price (which is cheap, comparatively) and people start threatening to jump-ship. Ouch.

I'm El Diablo here. I don't see what the big deal is. So Apple wants to curb the piracy of their OS, good for them! It may be a bit of a hassle to us as the users, but who really gives a rats ass? How many times are going to install an OS that entering a serial number is going to create a massive hassle?

Enough of my rhetorical questions. I'm just trying to make a point that's already been made, so ...

:p

Back